3 TB Drive

catnap

I know that there is a lot of information in the forums about installation and use of large drives and I appreciate that I might be able to find the answer if I searched this more diligently - so apologies in advance for seeking enlightenment the lazier way.

I installed a 2 TB Seagate Drive a couple of months back. It worked fine for a while but then was occasionally not detected then never so. I got back to Amazon who sent me a replacement which I installed today. It starts to format but never completes. I took it back out to discover I have actually been sent a 3TB Seagate ST3000VN000. Am I correct in thinking that neither the standard nor Custom firmware can format this on the box? Can I format it on my Mac then reinstall and still use it?

There is the option of returning it to Amazon.

Thanks EP. I had skimmed through that page out of casual inerest before and found it confusing and daunting. Reading it again it doesn't seems too bad. I'll attempt it - after all I can still return it if it goes wrong.

It's not at all daunting, now that support has been fully integrated into the custom firmware: Fit it, access the command line menu via Telnet, format it. What you need to remember is that you must not return to standard firmware at any time with a GPT-format drive installed.

I installed a 2 TB Seagate Drive a couple of months back. It worked fine for a while but then was occasionally not detected then never so.
Was that using custom firmware (and if so waht version and which kernel)?
I got back to Amazon who sent me a replacement which I installed today. It starts to format but never completes. I took it back out to discover I have actually been sent a 3TB Seagate ST3000VN000
I would have expected (but haven't tried) that it would format as a 2TB drive although clearly now it would be better to use the full capacity.

I'll have to put everything back together to confirm the version - may have to wait til tomorrow. How can I tell which kernel?

I let the format job run for 2 hours then later for about 3 but it never completed. The second time the box went back into standby then again showed the format the HDD message when I restarted.

I'll have to put everything back together to confirm the version - may have to wait til tomorrow. How can I tell which kernel?
af123 will be able to advise.
I let the format job run for 2 hours then later for about 3 but it never completed. The second time the box went back into standby then again showed the format the HDD message when I restarted.
If the custom firmware version is not the latest then I would suggest your first step is to update to the latest and if still having problems then try the custom firmware with the standard kernel,

I followed the instructions at http://wiki.hummy.tv/wiki/Very_Large_Hard_Drive and everything seems to have worked as expected (and to me surprisingly quickly). The drive now shows on the box as formatted. I will try some recordings later and update here as to how they go. I also need to load the webif and packages.

I realised along the way I needed to update from 1.03.12/3.03.

Thanks to all for the advice and to those who developed this feature.

EDIT: I scheduled some recordings and they worked as expected. So looks as if this drive could be added to the WiKi list.

Last edited:
Back