3rd HDR-FOX

Black Hole

May contain traces of nut
I recently bagged another one off eBay. This will be available for trying things out when necessary, without risking the main machine doing the day-to-day stuff. Unmodded at the moment, 1.02.28.

I have installed it in the den, and the aerial feed goes a long way to get there. The Mynydd Machen signal comes up strength 55, the two DVB-T muxes are quality 100%, but the DVB-T2 mux quality bounces between mostly 100% and 30, 10, or even 0%, and shows break-up on the screen. I have taken care the HDMI is not cross-coupling.

The Mendip signal is strength 55 to 57, and 100% across the board. It still shows occasional break-ups on HiDef (DVB-T2). When I was running this unit in parallel with my main one (signal strength 75-80) there was none of this break-up.

I only mention the signal observations to add information to the pool of knowledge. Anyone with reception problems should bring up the signal detection option (Menu >> Settings >> System >> Signal Detection) and have a look at all their multiplexes (monitor each one for a few minutes). If the quality figure is bouncing around you know you have a signal problem (which could be too great if around 100).

I have deliberately tuned Mendip and Machen to play with multi-region recording. I know AR won't work (without a lot of messing around) so I have the news programmes set to record simultaneously by auto-padding.

I'm pleased to report the first day's local news recorded on both regions. I plan to set these up on auto-expire and have access to the latest national and regional news any time I want.

I connect to HDR3 from HDR1 by DLNA. If I have ever seen it before I have forgotten, but a couple of my test recordings show a film frame icon to the right with a no-entry sign on it. They play OK, but seem to correlate with protected HiDef recordings (with all the recordings on HDR1 unprotect and decrypted as a matter of course, I would not otherwise see these icons).

Not familiar with that icon - is it this one?
749_2_11_Video_DRM.png

That's called 749_2_11_Video_DRM

Interesting. With not much in the way of recordings on the drive, it shuts down in about 5 seconds.

Something odd happened. I was recording BBC HD Preview to build up a big recording file to test, and HDR3 crashed with a static image, sound continuing (as usual), red ring (recording), but as far as I can tell no other activity. No response to remote or front panel, no WebIF. The only thing I could do to get control back was a cold start.

Maybe that's why it was on eBay! I shall have to keep an eye on it.

Hi BH, that's how mine would often fail (static picture, sound continuing etc) on a regular basis. It's never done since I've removed the lid, and the fan is working correctly.

Something odd happened. I was recording BBC HD Preview to build up a big recording file to test, and HDR3 crashed with a static image, sound continuing (as usual), red ring (recording), but as far as I can tell no other activity. No response to remote or front panel, no WebIF. The only thing I could do to get control back was a cold start.

Maybe that's why it was on eBay! I shall have to keep an eye on it.

Hi Black Hole,

I'm new to the forum, and have come across this problem several times myself. My only solution, as with any other piece of "IT" equipment, switch it off and on again.

Back