4.3 Ratio Ch4 HD

Hummy Gav

Hi I have noticed on Cha 4HD some programes are show in 4.3 ratio not the normal 16.9 on Ch 4 SD, any ideas :confused:

Do you mean that they are transmitting 16.9 on SD and the same programme at 4.3 on HD? CH4 do transmit some 4.3 content on SD so I assumed that it would also be 4.3 on the HD channel

that's because the simpsons was made 4:3 if you want to stretch it set your tv to auto not original. Most tv companies compromise the transmission ie cut the top and bottom off to give a 16:9 picture but with cartoons it's not possible so they transmit as they were made

that's because the simpsons was made 4:3 if you want to stretch it set your tv to auto not original. Most tv companies compromise the transmission ie cut the top and bottom off to give a 16:9 picture but with cartoons it's not possible so they transmit as they were made

How come they manage to make the Standard Def version of the same Simpsons cartoon fit a 16:9 screen?

there will be an upconverter in the transmission path that passes hd progs but upconverts normal sd prodgrams. These sd progs could already be widescreen or 4:3. Someone will have made the decisions on how these 4:3 signals are handled . Crop top and bottom and make them 16:9 or even compromise 14:9 ( narrow black bars at the side ) or leave them as they were made ie 4:3 with wide black bars and obviously the simpsons is left as is. Can't comment on the sd feed as I don't have it on my box HD only

Or just stretch the 4.3 picture to 16.9 (as done by my Samsung TV) and make them look all fat:)

Back