4 February 2011 - Still No Portal for the HD

Is anybody else finding the menus very very slow (much slower than the HDR - which was not that fast to start with)?

Could not get anything to play on iplayer to start with, - just kept displaying 'can't connect to a required server' error, but this seems to have resolved now

Yup - I'm finding it pretty tortuous (10meg cable) - I can't compare it with the HDR, but I think I'll be sticking with my system of downloading to a computer using get_iplayer, and then playing it over the network - worked really well with the moded firmware and a mounted smb share - much faster than over dlna, and seeking, remembering position, deleting watched files etc works :)

Maybe its just busy as lots of HD owners are testing it?!

Yes the menus are very slow to load initially and quite sluggish in use, but I'm afraid I don't have an HDR to compare it with. But I can't say I've had any issues with "can't connect" messages or any stalling. Once loaded the streaming of programme content has so far been fine on iplayer. I tried the "BBC HD" option for Doctor who, which I assume will stress the connection a bit more, and that too seemed fine. I connect via a lan, so haven't tested the wireless performance.

Paul

I do have both HD and HDR, and the HD is very slow compared to the HDR for portal access - only tried internet radio not iplayer.

Other menus seem to be as fast as before and similar to the HDR.

Anything more we can do to help out af123 ref the different format etc?

I will try and downgrade now though.

Trevor

Just tried the downgrade and the box seems to have frozen and won't initialise.

Tried a second go at re-installing the software and same result - green lines on front of box just going round and round just like when it's booting, but it's not getting anywhere.

Am going to try and go back to the later software.

Trevor

That seems to have recovered it. It's going through a full re-install. Seems that a downgrade is not possible at the moment, unless others have better luck.

How's the HDF file going af123?

Trevor

I've sent you a PM..
Tested and am in on telnet. Have run opkg update and opkg install. Looks good to me. After installing cifs and virtual-disk plus others, have successfully managed to mount a cifs share over the network.

When I plugged my external usb 500Gb disk in, it asked me to format it to use the record features, even though it was formatted by the HD box before and I have successfully recorded to it on the old Humax software. I didn't format it as I have stuff on there at the mo. It may be that because it looks more like the HDR now (according to af123), that the directory structure needs to be different. I haven't got another disk to plug in right now, so that'll have to wait.

Anyway, progress again, thanks to af123!

Trevor

Although the iplayer is slow and sluggish, I give credit to the picture quality in HD and plays fine when loaded.

Yep the interface is so so sluggish, but once the programme loads I've been pleasantly surprised by how good it looks and so far no problems on a 10mb connection.

Back