4000T Help

Indieguy82

Hi guys,

I have been having a few issues with our Humax 4000T box over the past few days when today all our recordings disappeared for good. We have had the box for about 4-5 years. I have unplugged it numerous and waited several minutes but all my recordings are still zero/blank. I have factory reset the settings but not wiped the HDD clean yet as we had probably 700+ recordings of our favourite shows and I don't really want to lose them completely.

When I access the settings the storage option is greyed out.

Any help appreciate on what I can do to either back up the files or check if the HDD is in fact dead

Cheers

Hi guys,

I have been having a few issues with our Humax 4000T box over the past few days when today all our recordings disappeared for good. We have had the box for about 4-5 years. I have unplugged it numerous and waited several minutes but all my recordings are still zero/blank. I have factory reset the settings but not wiped the HDD clean yet as we had probably 700+ recordings of our favourite shows and I don't really want to lose them completely.
Can you hear the hard drive spin up when the box is powered up? If you can then it is possible that the file system has gone read only; that could be fixed by opening the Humax, removing the drive and attaching it to a computer running Linux (which can be a Windows computer booted from USB stick with a Live Linux distribution) and running file system repair facilities.

I would just remove the drive. Switch cleaner. Refit. Mine HDD started playing up, just got worse and worse until I replaced it

UPDATE:

The Humax was saying no recordings for about 10 days. HDD is spinning. Recordings reappeared and I ran a HDD test on the Humax settings and it said all ok. 24 hours later the box rebooted randomly when browsing the recordings list and now the recordings have disappeared again :( I took the casing off last night and I hope to hook it up to a PC soon.

It very much sounds like there are file system errors which need flushing (using a Linux boot), or a reformat (if you don't mind losing recordings). Or you might need a replacement HDD, and to copy existing recordings across before it's too late.

If you favour your recordings over cost, I would replace the HDD as a matter of urgency and keep the unit turned off in the mean time. Exchange the discs, format the new disc, and then worry about transferring recordings off the old disk.

If cost is a higher priority: run a Linux boot on a PC and use that to try a SMART recovery and a file system repair (but at greater risk of losing stuff).

Back