4G interference

Shopps

Hi,

It's been in the news lots lately, but how exactly does the arrival of 4G for mobile phones affect our Freeview boxes?

I own a Humax HDR-Fox T2, but if 4G arrives sooner rather than later (if we believe the hype & media) will we lose channels or some functionality somehow? I have heard about a filter that may have to be fitted to eliminate interference, is this true? if so where do we get them from?

So many questions, just thought I'd throw it out there :)

Before Digital Switch Over the U.K. used a set of radio frequencies for UHF TV that were numbered 21 to 69, after DSO the frequencies changed and were squeezed into the smaller group from 21 to 60, leaving 61 to 69 free. The proposal is to sell off channels 61 to 69 for the 4G cell phone network. The problem is that obviously the new 4G channels would be very close in frequency to some of the UHF TV channels and there could be some interference

Ezra, Winter Hill is still using RF channels 61 & 62. These are due to be changed to 49 & 50 in April 2013.

Ah, O.K. I though the clearance of 61 - 69 had been completed.
I guess that re-allocated UHF TV channels nearest to 61 - 69 are most likely to require any filtering to be fitted when 4G takes over, so it good that they won't be moved to say 59 and 60

Ah, O.K. I though the clearance of 61 - 69 had been completed.
I guess that re-allocated UHF TV channels nearest to 61 - 69 are most likely to require any filtering to be fitted when 4G takes over, so it good that they won't be moved to say 59 and 60
Winter Hill is already using 59, with no plans to move it that I am aware of.

Winter Hill is already using 59, with no plans to move it that I am aware of.

:( O.K. You can be the forum's filter tester :) It will depend, I guess, on how close you are to a 4G mast and whether it's between you and the TV transmitter etc.

I think that there are quite a few forum members receiving from Winter Hill.
I will probably end up getting a new TV aerial, as there is not much of my current one remaining after more than 25 years service. More than half of it is missing, so it is now probably less than 3 feet long, and it has no reflector, and it is pointing in the wrong direction.

It might be worth hanging on to see if the aerial Gurus can come up with a 'real' fix, rather that a normal aerial with an 'anti-4G' sticker on it. It's doubtful they can get a 50dB drop between CH 59 and 60 but who knows

I am in no rush to change it at the moment so will see what happens next year. I don't know how I have managed for so long without a "Digital" aerial.;)

I am in no rush to change it at the moment so will see what happens next year. I don't know how I have managed for so long without a "Digital" aerial.;)

Yes, some of my pet-hates over the years have been meaningless / mis-leading terms such as 'Solid State', 'Digital Aerial', 'LED TV' etc. but it's always quite good fun getting assistants in shops to explain them

Mendip BBC A is on UHF channel 61, dropping to 49 in March 2013. A local (Wenvoe group) transmitter is staying on channel 60 - so that'll be interesting perhaps :)

I wonder how expensive 4G will be... Thinking of claims it will help people out in the sticks. (you know - the very rich - people like farmers and the like)

Back