4TB USB External hard drive not recognised

jsrobo

I have added a 4TB Western Digital My Book to my external storage drives. But it isn't recognised by my Humax. My 2TB WD My Book works just great. Any ideas anybody. I guess it's to do with the large size, viz greater than 2TB! Is there likely to be a work around to get it working. Incidentally it's the same problem when the 4TB drive is plugged into my Samsung Smart TV.

You could try dividing it into 2 or more partitions, how is it formatted? e.g. EXT3 ,NTFS, exFAT etc. I would create two partitions in whatever format your 2TB WD drive is using, however don't be surprised if the Humax only sees one of the new partitions

It's NTFS. I had thought about partitioning, but doesn't seem too practical if you can only see one of the partitions. I was hoping there was a solution via the customised firmware route.

There is a Custom Firmware package e.g. NTFS-3g that enables a write function to the Humax (without it the Humax is read only for NTFS), but I doubt that it will do what you want, It's worth a try though, let us know if it does the job

I have added a 4TB Western Digital My Book to my external storage drives. But it isn't recognised by my Humax. My 2TB WD My Book works just great. Any ideas anybody. I guess it's to do with the large size, viz greater than 2TB! Is there likely to be a work around to get it working. Incidentally it's the same problem when the 4TB drive is plugged into my Samsung Smart TV.
Unfortunately the kernel that the Humax is running does not support EFI partitions so you're limited to 2GB. I know that xyz321 did some work in build a replacement kernel (which could support EFI) but didn't pursue it.

Half a solution has been to use Universal Media Server installed on my win7 computer to stream all the videos to my Smart TV. This of course means computer running to view movies on my TV, not the best solution perhaps, but better than nothing. I guess it will be some time before Humax or even Samsung rewrite there software to allow larger than 2GB support. They will eventual because when the higher definition TV's (higher than 1080p) become common the file sizes will necessitate larger drives etc., etc. Again thx for all your comments.

i found this article on google
Site named deskdecode
and they suggest me to buy Seagate Barracuda.
how about that?

i found this article on google
Site named deskdecode
and they suggest me to buy Seagate Barracuda.
how about that?
Barracuda is a name Seagate have used for many years for many different disks. Quoting that is, frankly, worthless.
You've already been given the exact model number for an internal drive.
And as BH said, did you mean external or internal? You could probably get away with a desktop drive if it's just for external off-loading.

Back