5.1 Audio on Freesat HD channels

Promark747

Hi, apologies if this has been asked elsewhere, I have a Humax HDR 1010s connected via HDMI to a Yamaha home cinema amp.

No matter what HD channels I watch, I never seem to get Dolby Digital 5.1 audio, only 2 channel Dolby. I have tried both HDMI and optical connections from the Humax box to the amp with no change. Its difficult finding DD5.1 programmes but, for example, the Syndicate on BBC 1 HD was shown in the EPG as DD5.1 but I can only get Dolby Digital 2.0. The amp gets DD5.1 no problem from my Apple TV and Blu Ray player via HDMI.

Am I doing something wrong, or is the box faulty? I'd be grateful to hear from anyone that manages to record and play back an HD programme with DD5.1 audio.

Thanks

No problem with my HDR1000S (also connected to a Yamaha AV receiver). 5.1 programmes are not very common (most are DD2.0). Most Doctor Who and all Father Brown episodes were 5.1. Try recording Channel 4-HD movies they are often 5.1. I unfortunately watched and deleted the syndicate so I can't check.

On other Humax boxes there is an audio preferences setting for whether you want output in surround (when available) or just stereo. Make sure that setting (if the 1000S has one) is "Multi Channel".

On other Humax boxes there is an audio preferences setting for whether you want output in surround (when available) or just stereo. Make sure that setting (if the 1000S has one) is "Multi Channel".

Settings - Picture and Sound - Digital Audio Out Multi-Channel. The OP's Yamaha would say PCM Stereo (rather than Dolby Digital) if the stereo option was enabled.

Thanks Black Hole/Graham, I can confirm that the Humax audio out is set to Mutli Channel. Thanks Ezra will look out for Later with Jools Holland.

Thanks Black Hole/Graham, I can confirm that the Humax audio out is set to Mutli Channel. Thanks Ezra will look out for Later with Jools Holland.

I already checked the epg to see if there was a Jools Holland coming up (there isn't one in the epg at the moment).

Humans on Channel 4 HD on Sunday may be in 5.1.

Back