5.1 Audio Problem

Tim Humphries

Hi all

I've been reading this forum for the last 6 months - since I became a member of the Hummy family! Happy with just about everything - except this! I've found that, if I record a programme in HD with 5.1 audio, then copy it to USB via Filezilla and Foxy, I keep the HD video, but the 5.1 audio drops to AAC stereo.

If I watch the recording from the HDR it is still 5.1, but transferred to my PC and back again, I only have stereo. Am I missing something here?

Keep up the great work!

Am I missing something here?

Yes, the Humax will only play back a TS file in DD5.1 if it has the sidecar files present e.g. the small files with the same name as the TS file, I copied ALL 5 files from the Humax to my P.C. and then copied just the TS file back to a different folder on the Humax with the result that it played back with stereo (PCM 48kHz) sound, I then copied back the sidecar files e.g. the hmi, hmt, nts and thm files into the same new folder and the DD5.1 was restored
Note this is only required for TS files, a stand alone converted version of the same TS file in MKV format will play on the Humax in DD5.1

Yes, the Humax will only play back a TS file in DD5.1 if it has the sidecar files present e.g. the small files with the same name as the TS file, I copied ALL 5 files from the Humax to my P.C. and then copied just the TS file back to a different folder on the Humax with the result that it played back with stereo (PCM 48kHz) sound, I then copied back the sidecar files e.g. the hmi, hmt, nts and thm files into the same new folder and the DD5.1 was restored
Note this is only required for TS files, a stand alone converted version of the same TS file in MKV format will play on the Humax in DD5.1

That makes sense - but looking at the files produced on the Hummy with Filezilla I only see four files - no hmi! I've copied those four to my PC and streamed them to the HDR - no 5.1, whereas streaming a 5.1 movie gives me 5.1 sound.

I thought I should be able to take one of these recordings and burn to DVD with picture and sound quality intact - am I simply barking up the wrong tree??

I'm not certain but I believe a .hmi is only created when a .ts file is played without the other sidecar files present. .hmt and .nts are created at the time of the recording, but .thm (thumbnail) is only created post-recording (when the indexer gets around to it or if you play the recording). Thus you can normally expect 4 files in the set (or three for a radio recording - no video stream therefore no thumbnail).

As far as your sound issue is concerned, a suggestion with no expertise whatever: the stereo and surround sound channels might be different streams within the .ts package. Maybe your PC apps are picking up the first sound stream only, and a demuxer could select the stream you want.

I use FLV MP3 converter to convert aac 5.1 audio from a HD file to ac3 5.1 for max compatibility.
The box does this on the fly when replaying from the box.

After creating a ac3 audio file, open the original file with Tsmuxergui, open the ac3 file. Deselect the aac file and remux as a ts file.

I'm not certain but I believe a .hmi is only created when a .ts file is played without the other sidecar files present. .hmt and .nts are created at the time of the recording, but .thm (thumbnail) is only created post-recording (when the indexer gets around to it or if you play the recording). Thus you can normally expect 4 files in the set (or three for a radio recording - no video stream therefore no thumbnail).

Right. The .hmi is created whenever you play something which is considered non-native, so .avi, .mp4 or orphaned .ts will get one.

I use FLV MP3 converter to convert aac 5.1 audio from a HD file to ac3 5.1 for max compatibility.
The box does this on the fly when replaying from the box.

After creating a ac3 audio file, open the original file with Tsmuxergui, open the ac3 file. Deselect the aac file and remux as a ts file.

Thanks everyone for the prompt suggestions; looks like some deeper background reading is required, then I'll begin again, but with a bit better sense of direction!!

Back