5000T 50hz lock

Status
Not open for further replies.

satbunny

I see from the avsforums review that the 5000 has a 50hz lock.
Has anyone seen this affect playback in practice or has it been resolved through a firmware update?
I would expect Netflix material that has been originated at 24 or 60 Hz to be affected by this.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

What? By "50Hz lock", I presume you mean is only capable of outputting at 50 frames per second. That's not so much a case of locking as a case of limited capability.

Since all UK transmissions are 50/25Hz based it's no surprise that the broadcom chip built in has not the capability to use 24Hz (which is the highest frame rate 1080p supported frame rate supported by blu-ray. .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray

Of all the Kit I Have only the Netflix app on my blue-ray player is capable of 1080p24 playback without pull down frame conversion which isn't surprising as that is the max framerate that the blu-ray spec supports.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray

Not a clue what your post means. UK Freeview-HD transmissions which your box is designed to view are either 1080i 50 fields/second (interlaced 25 fps) or 1080p (25 progressive frames/second. 60Hz is the default for most UK boxes when transmiitting 24Hz content when the destination reports no 24Hz support.

FreeView-HD is capable of dynamic switching from 1080i (50 fields/second) to 1080p 25 (25 fps progressive).

My Blue ray box can also playback downloaded content via usb. at 24Hz Which isn't surprising as that's the the basic blu-ray spec.

I don't see how a feature can be unlocked if it's not there in the first place. The original premise of this thread is flawed by calling it a "lock". The correct question is whether the 5000T has ability to handle 24fps material at all.

You sound like a politician there BH. They frequently tell the questioner that they have asked the wrong question, and then go on to answer their own, irrelevant question.:frantic:
But in this case, I'm with you on that one.:D

They frequently tell the questioner that they have asked the wrong question, and then go on to answer their own, irrelevant question.
:rolling:
Yes. That's happened to me on these forums - although it wasn't BH who did it.

You know, you are coming across as very crotchety, folks.

So. The box has a Netflix app in it. Netflix master their own shows in 24fps (actually 23.976) and/or 60Hz.

Therefore it is very likely that Netflix, and possibly Amazon Prime Video material will be mastered and streamed in a refresh that is incompatible with the 50Hz.

Now, is it a "lock" or not? I'd suggest a lock is a thing that has a key, in this case the metaphor is that the lock could be unlocked by a software/firmware 'key'.

Anyway thanks for the critiques of my use of using the term 'lock', which by the way was from the review on AV Forums here:

https://www.avforums.com/review/humax-fvp-5000t-freeview-play-pvr-review.14383

@grahamlthompson does make the most useful comment, in that he states that the broadcom chip used doesn't support 24fps, although he doesn't state if it supports 60hz. They then, sadly, ignore the fact that I was asking with regard to Netflix materials on the appropriate app, and not Freeview-HD.

That suggests it's a hardcoded chip capability.

So the question has, at last, probably, with lots of lovely snipes at my semantics and motivations, that it's unlikely to cope with 24fps or 60hz materials natively on Netflix.

Which oddly enough, when you read my OP, is *exactly* what I asked.

Netflix is capable of serving content at a variety of resolutions and frame rates to suit not just content but transmission and destination. So I expect it will probably serve a 5000 with something it can actually use and not just a default 24/60.

Now, is it a "lock" or not? I'd suggest a lock is a thing that has a key, in this case the metaphor is that the lock could be unlocked by a software/firmware 'key'.

Anyway thanks for the critiques of my use of using the term 'lock', which by the way was from the review on AV Forums here:

What the AVForums review (thanks for the link) actually says is:

"The output of the Humax FVP-5000T is locked at 50Hz". You should read "locked" as a synonym for "fixed". Extrapolating from that to suggest there is a built in capability that is locked and can be unlocked is not reasonable.

The crochetyness is because there is no lock. If you want to clarify information posted on AVForums, why not ask on AVForums?

And if we stopped triple spacing paragraphs it would make for easier reading.:)
And we are not particularly interested that your post was "Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk ":roflmao:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back