5000t - junk it or tweak it?

Sirdavy

I bought an FVP-5000T two years ago, I was worried about the reports of sluggish performance & awkward UI and, oh boy, were my worries borne out.

It's horrible to use, absolutely horrible and I'm getting to the end of my tether with it.

Before I junk it can you tell me if there are any solutions to any of the below? Has someone created another UI for it? Is there anyway to upgrade the box? I'd like to kick it all the way down the street but I need something to stream from my NAS but AFAIK I can't do this with a Firestick/Chromecast.

• sluggish start up of its own UI
  • stalling of the whole box and having to reboot
  • latency between pressing a button on the remote and the action happening
  • sluggish start up and performance of apps like netflix and iPlayer
  • stalling of netflix and iPlayer
  • inability to simply click on a programme in the guide and instantly switch to it.
  • the stupid organising/deleting of recordings
  • the sluggishness of navigating recordings and media stream from my NAS including the fussy folder hierarchy

It's horrible to use, absolutely horrible and I'm getting to the end of my tether with it.
I'm a more recent owner of the 5000T. Whilst all your bullet points are valid, and I was a bit cheesed off with it to begin with, I've got used to it. It does most of what I want it to do, albeit slowly and in an illogical way. What else, apart from two or three separate devices, can record 3 or 4 programmes simultaneously?

I struggle to think when I have ever needed to record more two things at the same time. In fact, sometimes I can't be bothered to record things because navigating the playback and deletion is so painfully slow and badly organised.

The only thing I hate more is All4/ITV Hub so I might keep it to record those channels and use a Firestick to watch Netflix/Iplayer and stream from my Qnap.

As you are new around here, you might not know that the main subject of this forum is the Humax HDR-FOX T2 and the custom firmware that has been developed around it. Okay, so HDR-FOX will only record two simultaneous and is only available on the second hand market, but we like it.

Quick Guide to Custom Firmware (click)

but we like it.
Agreed the HDR-FOX T2 with the custom firmware is an excellent PVR but the FVP does do some things better than the HDR-FOX T2. I agree with most of the OPs points but I have not experienced what he describes as "Stalling" and the number of software crashes has been similar to an HDR-FOX T2 with standard firmware (ie infrequent).

Having just picked up a 5000 on a whim, I'm amazed how primitive it is compared to a T2 with custom firmware. It won't be staying long. If I was desperate to record more than two channels I'd prefer two T2s.

Well put it back down again and pick up another T2 :roflmao:
It's already back up for sale. 👍

Set up a test recording last night & for some reason it jumped out of standby 20 minutes before recording was scheduled. Didn't go back into standby & also seems to have randomly decided to record something else as well. It's also very noisy in operation, although to be fair that was in the open rather than in the cabinet.

A simple skip forward in the EPG results in a blank screen while the data is reloaded.

Many actions impossible on quick startup while it thinks long & hard about rejoining the network.

You'd have thought Humax would be well aware of all the great stuff available in the T2 custom firmware, & keen to adopt a lot of it. As it is the T2 will continue until it dies, at which point I'll replace it with the spare I bought a few years back. I just wish there was a way to implement a quick-start option.

You'd have thought Humax would be well aware of all the great stuff available in the T2 custom firmware, & keen to adopt a lot of it.
I doubt it. Parts of the CF circumvent encryption and Humax coudn't be seen to condone that.
Can't say that my experience of a 5000T matches yours, but I do agree it can be a bit of a pig to operate at times and easy to confuse at startup.

You'd have thought Humax would be well aware of all the great stuff available in the T2 custom firmware, & keen to adopt a lot of it.
Topfield was the enthusiast DVB-T recorder, but they don't seem to have had enough traction to produce a DVB-T2 unit. The mass market would never be interested in anything beyond what a straight PVR does, and the more features you build in the more calls there are to the help line so it has negative cost implications.

That said, I am bemused Humax can't seem to reproduce the HDR-FOX ease of use.

Last edited:
That said, I am bemused Humax can't seem to reproduce the HDR-FOX ease of use.
Isn't that the case with everything? The new version of nearly every device (and website for that matter) that I come across seems to have more whistles and bells and fancy graphics so that it is more difficult to on with the job you bought the device (or visited the site) for. More useless doings ( :poop: ) to plough through to do the basics.

Back