5000T reports no or poor signal

Clacksman

Recent purchase of FVP 5000T. Noticed a lot of freezing and bad signal reports, mostly on SD, also recordings often fail due to no signal. Yet my TV on the feed-through aerial doesn't freeze, and my former Panasonic PVR had no problem (until it died). I have a mast head amplifier with indoor power supply.
Could you give me some advice on how to investigate this problem?

What may be happening s that the FVP-5000T is not tuned into the transmitter which your aerial picks up the best.

For how to approach a retune see https://myhumax.org/forum/topic/manual-tuning-instructions-1

If you first want to work out which transmitter you are tuned to for a particular TV channel, switch to that channel and then within settings check which (UHF) channel is being used on the Signal Test option. Then match that against the results of digiatluk's signal predictor by going to http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/postcodechecker/main/index/dummy/NA/yes and input your postcode and house number; tick the box marked "Detailed view", and looking for the transmitter with that UHF channel number. On the results page the UHF channel numbers are those with the darker grey background.

Thanks for your suggestion Luke. I have followed your instructions and there is no tuning problem. The only decent signal in my region is from the Blackhill transmitter, and the Humax is correctly tuned to this on all channels. The signal test gives 100% on quality and strength on all the channels I have tested so far including the ones which have been subject to freezing and failed recordings. Very difficult to investigate an intermittent issue. I will try a signal test when the freezing next shows.

Hi Clacksman, I had the same problem with my 5000t, & I also have a mast head amplifier with indoor power supply.
Mine also showed as 100% strength & quality. What it didn’t show was if the signal strength was too high (above 100%). I also got regular freezing & no signal messages.
I purchased a Variable Signal Attenuator, (about £4 on eBay) allowing me to reduce the signal strength to below 100%. This solved the problem straight away!

The signal test gives 100% on quality and strength on all the channels I have tested so far
I agree with NorthernUser that your signal strength is probably too high. Do you have an amplifier in the aerial cabling? If so try turning down the gain or by passing the amplifier and see if that helps. If not then go down the variable attenuator route and aim for a signal strength around 80%.

I agree with NorthernUser that your signal strength is probably too high. Do you have an amplifier in the aerial cabling? If so try turning down the gain or by passing the amplifier and see if that helps. If not then go down the variable attenuator route and aim for a signal strength around 80%.
There is a mast-head amplifier but I cannot access that so will go for the signal attenuator. I am now wondering why the 5000T is upset by the signal distortion when the TV itself is not? Thanks for your reply

I am now wondering why the 5000T is upset by the signal distortion when the TV itself is not?
Same reason a Ford might handle differently from a Fiat - they are designed and built differently. There's no reason to suppose that any given model of TV or set-top box will use the same tuner modules. (You can't even assume a Humax 5000 uses the same tuners as a 4000 or other - they might do, but ... )

I am now wondering why the 5000T is upset by the signal distortion when the TV itself is not?
The most plausible explanation I have heard is that the Humax has more sensitive tuners than most TV sets; this is good for users a long way from transmitters but not good for people close to transmitters or who prior to DSO needed amplifiers.

That’s great news!
Don’t understand why Humax don’t mention it in their Fault Finding section, or indeed if we contact them for help!
I guess that’s why this forum is so useful!

Enthusiast forums are always more effective than helplines staffed by script monkeys. Engineers are too expensive to be allocated to tech support.

Enthusiast forums are always more effective than helplines staffed by script monkeys. Engineers are too expensive to be allocated to tech support.

I'm on my second pvt-5000t replaced last week by Humax, I asked them why the signal was freezing at 75% (my max. signal strength) and only reply I got was instructions to return it under warranty. Well actually 3rd 5000t as they sent me a smaller replacement version in errir. All 3 either drop out completely for a second or two with the "signal to weak" yellow text on black screen at 85% signal strength or momently freezes when bought down to 40%.

Not acceptable as to why this model is so poor being slowwww in menu response and poor signal management.. I know PVRs are dead with smart tvs and streaming services pushing PVRs out. But while you're Humax how about selling goods that really work as your previous less complex models did.

Sounds like it might be HDMI interference. Make sure your HDMI leads and aerial patch leads are well separated, make sure you are using decent quality UHF cable and connectors (not the thin stuff), and if all else fails switch your HDMI output to 1080i rather than 1080p.

Thanks for your reply.
TV aerial screening is good thick with air gap between screen and core with two layers of insulation. I get the same issue on 1080i as I do on 1080p. And the HDMI cable is that supplied by Humax. I'm now trying the cable I use on my PS4... Time will tell!
Question ; Why should HDMI now be an issue when it wasn't with my previous Humax boxes.It happens as is only once to three times an evening and not all the time? Core breakdown would be all the time as cable not moved..bad screening would be all the time would it not, or is it a capacitive issue?

More questions than answers I think!

I am not inferring that this IS your problem, but poorly screened HDMI cables can radiate RF in the same band as the TV signals which can be picked up by badly screened aerial patch leads.
Air spaced coax is often badly screened. A good screened coax is, starting from the middle: copper centre core, foam dielectric (insulation), copper foil, copper braid, outer insulation.

Why should HDMI now be an issue when it wasn't with my previous Humax boxes.It happens as is only once to three times an evening and not all the time?
Maybe it isn't, that was only a suggestion and you hadn't supplied the relevant information.

I am not inferring that this IS your problem, but poorly screened HDMI cables can radiate RF in the same band as the TV signals which can be picked up by badly screened aerial patch leads.
Air spaced coax is often badly screened. A good screened coax is, starting from the middle: copper centre core, foam dielectric (insulation), copper foil, copper braid, outer insulation.

Thanks again, I have a reel of PF100 coax to EN50117 with foam dielectric which states it's ideal for digital signals and have made up a new cable to connect from the aerial wall socket to the Humax. Will test tonight to see how it goes.
Again thanks :)

PF100 is probably about the best you can use. :D Please let us know if it sorts you out. It may not.

Back