A DVB-T2 only service for the UK?

Ezra Pound

Does anyone have any idea when the UK will stop supporting DVD-T in favour of a DVD-T2 only system?.

With 700 MHz clearances and COM 7 / COM 8 closure happening in mid 2020 or sooner?, terrestrial TV viewers will be losing BBC4 HD, BBC NEWS HD and 20 or so other lesser offerings due to the loss of these two MUXs unless something changes between now and then.

The answer seems to be stop supporting DVD-T receivers and transmit only DVB-T2, this will put all MUXs up to 40Mbps (from 24Mbs) and remove the need for simulcasts of BBC1/BBC1 HD etc. giving us more than enough space for current needs.

But will a DVB-T2 only system be introduced in mid 2020, my guess is no, so any guesses when?

The other consideration is whether, if DVB-T is switched off, the government will "cough-up" for DVB-T2 boxes for poorest in society who haven't yet got compatible equipment (as in the original DSO). Another shake of the magic money tree.

I don't think the government will 'Cough up', but the alternative is waiting until there is no-one out there with a working DVB-T box to care about the switch off, which could take a very long time to happen, a bit like the switch from 405 to 625 or analogue to digital TV

I don't think the government will 'Cough up', but the alternative is waiting until there is no-one out there with a working DVB-T box to care about the switch off, which could take a very long time to happen, a bit like the switch from 405 to 625 or analogue to digital TV
Agree. The player with the biggest interest is Arqiva. They were estimating 2023 as the time when it may start to be in their interests to switch one mux, but also stated that they would need to adjust this based on take up of DVB-T2 receivers over DVB T only receivers. I haven't seen any thing recent but it is still only a few years since the freeview brand was not available for new receivers that are DVB-T only.

See section 2.23 of https://www.ofcom.org.uk/consultations-and-statements/category-1/award-700mhz-3.6-3.8ghz-spectrum which accounts for the replacement licences which can be triggered at far shorter notice but enables surviving transmitters to potential go on to June 2022 if the triggers for canceling the licence don't arise, and Arqiva still finds them cost effective.

From what I can see, COM7/8 will keep going longer than is being advertised because it is commercially advantageous to do so. They just don't want to commit to that in case the unlikely happens and they can't keep them. Thus we will be perpetually kept in the dark about this

Remember that the original dates when COM7/8 might disappear were given when they were on multiple frequencies. They've been changed to SFNs (with some loss of both bandwidth per mux and coverage area) to allow them to be kept for longer.

At the last retune, our transmitter (Caldbeck) lost Com7 & 8, therefore have already lost the stations EP referred to. Most no problem but miffed re BBC4HD & QuestHD.

They've been changed to SFNs (with some loss of both bandwidth per mux and coverage area) to allow them to be kept for longer.
Would seem to be rather a waste of time and money to re-engineer for SFN and then get rid of them. But, given that this country couldn't organise a drink in an alcoholic beverage factory, anything is possible.
Most no problem but miffed re BBC4HD & QuestHD.
At least you still have the SD versions.

At least you still have the SD versions
I try hard to not watch SD these days. The poor resolution is quite noticeable on a large TV when you've been watching mainly HD. I wish they junk half the output and make everything HD, or 4k in the longer term.
But I suppose the 90% who actually watch adverts and buy the stuff don't care, so there's no commercial imperative.

I try hard to not watch SD these days. The poor resolution is quite noticeable on a large TV when you've been watching mainly HD. I wish they junk half the output and make everything HD, or 4k in the longer term.

I agree entirely. If all the crap were junked, there would be enough bandwidth for all sensible channels in HD and the five PSB channels in 4K (assuming HEVC were used for 4K).

However, it is entirely clear that the are no plans to ever put 4K content on Freeview. The BBC has publicly stated many times that they see iPlayer as their 4K delivery system. I know all too well that a lot of people will struggle to get good enough broadband for 4K. I can't change the facts, crap though they are.

Back