A few quick questions before I buy

ntm1275

After looking at several HD Freeview boxes, I've nearly settled on the HDR FOX T2, but was wondering if someone could clarify some of my questions

1. DNLA Client - Is there a list of the video file types that the T2 can play from a DNLA server (I have a Synology DS1010+ Network Attached Storage unit that all my video files are stored on) - My Windows PC can play all the files on the Synology with no problem avi, mkv, vob, mpg, mov, etc, etc
Can extra video and audio codecs be installed on the T2?

2. DNLA Server - Can the T2 act as a DNLA server to stream video to other devices, and if it does, what format are the files saved as on the T2 - ts, mpg, etc, and is the SD format the same as the HD format

3. iPlayer support - different reviews say that it works with the iPlayer and other don't, so just need clarification

4. Transfer recorded video from the T2 to an external hard drive for playing on another device - this feature would be unnecessary if the T2 can do point 5

5. Is it possible for the T2 to be seen over a Windows network so that recorded video can be 'copy and pasted' from the T2 to a Windows 7 6bit PC, (Samba - SMB/CIFS or FTP)

6. I did notice that there seems to be custom firmware that can be used, would any of the features that I mention above need the custom firmware, and if they do, which points, and is it a difficult thing to do - What is the underlying OS of the T2 by the way? Unix? Linux?
My Synology NAS runs on a custom flavour of Linux, and I've had experience of it's inner workings through the command line and telnet, so I'm not afraid to get my hand dirty

Any input will be much appreciated

Thanks

1. DNLA Client - Is there a list of the video file types that the T2 can play from a DNLA server (I have a Synology DS1010+ Network Attached Storage unit that all my video files are stored on) - My Windows PC can play all the files on the Synology with no problem avi, mkv, vob, mpg, mov, etc, etc

The range of files that can be played is fairly limited. There are file types that the Humax can play when it is on a local disk or USB drive, but not via DLNA and as far as I know nobody knows why there is a difference.
Most file types are just containers which can contain a range of different formats, so you will find that one AVI file plays perfectly over DLNA whereas another one does not.

If you install the customised firmware, then you can mount your NAS directly using CIFS(Samba) or NFS and then almost everything should play.

Can extra video and audio codecs be installed on the T2?

No - most of the media processing is done in hardware.

2. DNLA Server - Can the T2 act as a DNLA server to stream video to other devices, and if it does, what format are the files saved as on the T2 - ts, mpg, etc, and is the SD format the same as the HD format

Yes it can, it streams M2ts (Mpeg-2 Transport Stream) format. HD is the same, but HD streaming requires DTCP to be negotiated by the client first. That can be easily circumvented using the customised firmware.

3. iPlayer support - different reviews say that it works with the iPlayer and other don't, so just need clarification

iPlayer support is there (it wasn't at launch which is probably where the confusion comes from). It's functional but navigation is fairly sluggish. Fine once you're watching something though.
The customised firmware also allows you to save programmes from iPlayer (and Youtube) to the disk without DRM.

4. Transfer recorded video from the T2 to an external hard drive for playing on another device - this feature would be unnecessary if the T2 can do point 5

Yes. Everything that the Humax stores on its internal disk is stored encrypted, however if you copy SD content to an external drive (USB drive) then it is decrypted on the way. HD content remains encrypted though so can only be played back on the same Humax device.
With the customised firmware, HD content can be decrypted in the same way as SD.

5. Is it possible for the T2 to be seen over a Windows network so that recorded video can be 'copy and pasted' from the T2 to a Windows 7 6bit PC, (Samba - SMB/CIFS or FTP)

Yes, via FTP with the standard firmware but that only gives you access to the encrypted content. With the customised firmware, Samba and NFS are also options, as is automatic decryption.

6. I did notice that there seems to be custom firmware that can be used, would any of the features that I mention above need the custom firmware, and if they do, which points, and is it a difficult thing to do - What is the underlying OS of the T2 by the way? Unix? Linux?

It's Linux.

Thanks very much @af123 for answering my questions

I'm off to town tomorrow with some cash to get the T2

Can I just ask one more question?

I assume if the custom firmware is installed, the warranty will be invalid - is there a way to revert to the standard firmware if I ever needed to

I assume if the custom firmware is installed, the warranty will be invalid - is there a way to revert to the standard firmware if I ever needed to

I think it's a fair assumption that Humax would consider the warranty invalid, but the customised firmware isn't a complete replacement, it is the official Humax firmware with a few hooks added here and there to allow additional software to be installed on the hard disk alongside the recordings.

To revert to the official release, you just need to remove the extra files from the hard disk and re-flash with the firmware downloaded from Humax's web site.

ntm1275:- Most aspects of the Custom Firmware are covered in our WiKi HERE and although not too many people do need to remove the Custom Firmware, It is covered in the WiKi HERE

Thanks @Ezra Pound

I've had a good look at the Wiki since my first post

From what I could see everything seemed well documented, and I took the plunge and bought a T2 today

I've already installed the custom firmware and have got it working a treat

Thanks for everybody's advice

Back