A Good Read

Black Hole

May contain traces of nut
Anybody a bibliophile?

My elderly friend only really passes the time with the telly or an occasional (larger print) book, and I have no idea what I could order for her. I know she likes the tales Jeffrey Archer writes (but the second in his William Warwick series isn't published until the Autumn).

Recommendations please.

Is a Kindle out of the question - my wife and I have both benefitted from the ability to select the size of 'print' while handicapped by growing cataracts? With the Kindle there is a vast range of literature available (which should be cheaper when VAT is removed later this year)

We read a lot and when not doing research, as dandsmith, find the Kindle invaluable as the Library is closed. Bookbub is extremely useful for downloading free and paid for books on a daily basis.
Searching for titles, authors etc., use Fantastic Fiction.

Yes, I have considered a Kindle (if I can get her to use one - by no means a given), and I am trying to organise a family cast-off Kindle. That, however, was not the question (but thank you for your input).

I dare say, but I don't know what to look for. My opening post was to ask if anyone can recommend a book or author which is similar in style and content to Jeffrey Archer.

Posted from Firefox on ZEN running Linux Mint

Sorry, I'm into serious crime stuff, hard to recommend if at all squeamish. I'll put some time aside to 'ave a butcher's. I remember years ago reading Archer's Cain and Abel thinking that was excellent.
My wife rates Elizabeth George, Sophie Hannah, Lynwood Barclay, Karyn Slaughter, Val McDermid, Peter James & Ann Cleeves.
She says one of the best series she has read is 'The Seven Sisters' (Seven books) by Lucinda Riley. Our daughter, who is an avid reader confirms that.

Should be enough for starters. Let me know how you get on as headquarters will be glad to forward more.

'The Seven Sisters' (Seven books) by Lucinda Riley
I'll take a look at the synopsis.

For my part, unless it's a technical manual or scientific journal, I'm not interested. Years ago (when actively designing as a job) I had piles of data books and thought how useful it would be if they were on something like a Kindle. Now I'm not so sure - it would make them portable (and now they are all on-line and we have tablets, they effectively are), but there is no substitute for being able to have several open (and visible) at once.

Electronic user manuals were just coming in when I left technical publication around 2008.

Back