A little advice needed please

BestwoodRoadie

Hi all
I am new to this, pvr's/ free-time/ humax/ stb's etc and would like a little help if you can.

I am ditching sky, within 12 months the costs have nearly doubled so within a month it will be gone.

I am thinking of getting the, HDR-1100S 1TB, i believe it is freesat so can i connect to my sky dish ??.

Is the HDR-1100S 1TB the best choice for recording, catchup etc ?, this may raise more questions than answers but i am willing to listen.

Thank you in advance.

Well, I'm no expert being fairly new to Freesat, and with a 1010, but absent any other replies this is my take.
Firstly have a look at my Choice of Model thread http://hummy.tv/forum/threads/choice-of-model.6487/ if you haven't already where I was asking about, well, that.

Yes, I believe you just connect to the (probably) two connections from your dish. I believe the previous occupant of our house had Sky and our 1010 just worked from the wires left behind.

Is the 1100 best choice? Bit of a piece of string question really. It will do recording and catchup (assuming it's like the 1010), but it's more how you would like those functions to work in practice that decides whether it's the best for you (rather than a different model or make). Unfortunately it's hard to tell till you've had the box in use for a few days. I had expected it to be broadly similar to the Freeview Humax boxes we've got and had over the years, but in terms of operation it could be a different make from them.
If you are in any doubt I'd say get the cheapest working one you can find to minimise your risk and try it. If you hate it you can then sell it on and recoup much if not all your outlay.

Well, I'm no expert being fairly new to Freesat, and with a 1010, but absent any other replies this is my take.
Firstly have a look at my Choice of Model thread http://hummy.tv/forum/threads/choice-of-model.6487/ if you haven't already where I was asking about, well, that.

Yes, I believe you just connect to the (probably) two connections from your dish. I believe the previous occupant of our house had Sky and our 1010 just worked from the wires left behind.

Is the 1100 best choice? Bit of a piece of string question really. It will do recording and catchup (assuming it's like the 1010), but it's more how you would like those functions to work in practice that decides whether it's the best for you (rather than a different model or make). Unfortunately it's hard to tell till you've had the box in use for a few days. I had expected it to be broadly similar to the Freeview Humax boxes we've got and had over the years, but in terms of operation it could be a different make from them.
If you are in any doubt I'd say get the cheapest working one you can find to minimise your risk and try it. If you hate it you can then sell it on and recoup much if not all your outlay.

The 1100S uses the same software as the 1000/1010s. It has the same UI and capabilities as these. It loses the front display and scart socket present on the earlier boxes. It has built in WiFi like your 1010S but is available in black as well white.

Back