A non Christmas Ad vent.

trog

I was channel hopping on my Aura this morning and when I arrived at Pick a never before seen overlay appeared asking me to allow cookies so that they could provide me with targeted advertising, needless to say I chose the "Reject all" option. There has also been talk recently about allowing more ads per hour on TV again and I wonder how long it will be before we have to endure the unavoidable advertising banners that the US use that appear during a show.

I had one of these on my TV yesterday, and like you I chose to reject all.

As this is not just aura related, I have moved this thread to a more appropriate forum.

The trouble with all these bl@@dy cookie choices is that Reject All just means it keeps asking you incessantly, even though you've already decided. It doesn't do this if you Accept. Why can't anything just remember (using a cookie!) that I've rejected everything else and don't want to be bugged again? (rhet.)

I wonder how long it will be before we have to endure the unavoidable advertising banners that the US use that appear during a show.
I do hope not! It's bad enough with the self promotion screen junk - pop up Next, New, Premiere, what's on at 9pm etc. etc.
Strange how all (well nearly all) channels seem to be on a break at the same time.
Not forgetting that often the ad breaks are longer than the programme parts. Oh, and some of the programmes are "trimmed" to fit the ads in. (What used to be 50+ minute programmes when first shown are now 45- minutes) :mad:

The trouble with all these bl@@dy cookie choices is that Reject All just means it keeps asking you incessantly, even though you've already decided. It doesn't do this if you Accept. Why can't anything just remember (using a cookie!) that I've rejected everything else and don't want to be bugged again? (rhet.)
I ask myself that question on nearly every web page I view (except this one and the other Humax site - although that keeps logging me out.)
Possibly a function of the browser settings, but often even if I accept the cookies either the next page or when I return it asks again! :mad: :mad:

Why can't anything just remember (using a cookie!) that I've rejected everything
Possibly because that reject all denies the ability to set a cookie? It's something I've often wondered about.
The ultimate problem is that none of it actually stops adverts, just stops it tracking you for personalised ads.

Possibly a function of the browser settings, but often even if I accept the cookies either the next page or when I return it asks again!
For sites I visit often, or expect to revisit, I usually allow functional and performance cookies as these appear to help the site function and/or improve. I just block the advert related settings.
I don't generally suffer from constant logouts, though I don't have my browser battened down tight (blocks 3rd party cookies I think).
Every few months I do find I've been logged out of multiple sites at more or less the same time. I put this down to an expiry setting for cookies, presumably on my devices as it happens on several sites, but it's not quite enough of a nuisance for me to go digging.

The ultimate problem is that none of it actually stops adverts
That's what uBlock Origin is for.
I tried to use something on an ipad the other day and it nearly drove me insane with popups and videos overlaying what I was trying to read, apart from the absolute waste of bandwidth downloading all this crap and the CPU/battery usage on the device.
I think I'd just give up completely with the internet if I had to put up with that all the time. It's like cancer really.

+1 for the uBlock Origin, I use it and also Ghostery and my sanity is never tested.

That's what uBlock Origin is for.
Not heard of that one before.
TBH I'm not overwhelmed by adverts. The forums I use are 'protected' by DuckDuckGo in Chrome and it's own browser on Android, and outside of that if a site throws pop-ups at me the whole time (usually on Android) I just leave them as they are never anything important (to me).

I just add annoying advert sights URL to my hosts file, redirecting it to 127.0.0.1. Haven't found any sight yet that hasn't been stopped this way.

Also makes it easy to copy the list to another device.

That's not "free to air" though, nothing is going to pop up on units that don't have Internet interactivity.
Then where would you suggest? It was on a "free to air" channel, but would only pop up on a connected device.

Back