A thousand thank you's

AlanW

Just a heads-up from me as it's been a long time (seven years or so) since I posted here after buying my beloved Humax HDR Fox T2 that has rarely missed a beat: during some recent digital dusting when I deleted some old files it started playing up by sticking in a loop of *deleting* and was going nowhere fast - it's entirely thanks to this forum that I managed to stick in the custom firmware which seemed to have cured everything, and now I can manage it via WebIf instead as a bonus.

This forum is truly invaluable and all the donkey work that goes into its upkeep is much appreciated, so thank you and a huge well done to everyone concerned for all your hard and highly skilful work over the years!

Alan W

Nice to see you back Alan, good to hear you've had a go with the CF at last (although it's in a much more sophisticated state than it was last visit, we can even use GPT disks of practically unlimited capacity instead of being limited to MBR). Have a look at what else it can do for you: https://wiki.hummy.tv/wiki/Custom_Firmware_Package_Notes

EPE sub still going strong, I think I'm paid up until about 2020!

Ooh I see I'm going to be digging around in my Humax all night now! :)

One thing I have never bottomed out properly is my TV aerial setup, a 91 element whopper in the attic feeding four TVs. My Humax feeds through my Samsung TV aerial but some channels break up unless the Humax is powered on, which I suppose amplifies the signal.

Thank you for supporting EPE! Sadly I'd forgotten that I'd used my friend's cat, little Coco as an avatar here (see my Net Work column, November 17 issue) but Coco is now no longer with us which was a cause of big sniffs all round recently. :cry:

Sadly I'd forgotten that I'd used my friend's cat, little Coco as an avatar here (see my Net Work column, November 17 issue) but Coco is now no longer with us which was a cause of big sniffs all round recently. :cry:
Oh yes, I see the photo in the item about Pushbullet (interesting facility I've not got around to investigating - for the benefit of everyone else Alan's regular column in EPE covers comms/networky things, and Pushbullet is an app you can (apparently) install on phones, tablets, PCs etc to easily send "stuff" around between them - including SMS... and cat photos).

For what it's worth, and not that I use it (there's no room in my life for yet another forum), what I've read about the new EPE Chat Zone doesn't sound great - what you should have implemented is a full-blown forum like this one.

prpr said:
Why don't you just put a sensible sized one outside?
IIRC (it was years ago, when TV was going digital) there was very little choice available locally, and I didn't want to get a rigger to hang one on our chimney where I couldn't tinker with it.
prpr said:
Via a distribution amp. I hope? Or have you just jammed 4 cables into the connection point?
Yes, a Vision 4-way. I'm thinking of expanding to a 6-way.

Black Hole said:
For what it's worth, and not that I use it (there's no room in my life for yet another forum), what I've read about the new EPE Chat Zone doesn't sound great - what you should have implemented is a full-blown forum like this one.
As I explain in this post it simply wasn't viable to continue with the old forum due to the extremely low volume of traffic compared with say 10-20 years ago, the obsolete and unsupported software, the cost and risks posed by the forthcoming GDPR privacy rules and (last but not least) the burden on my time ('cos there was no room in my life either!) I handled it mostly in my spare time and maintenance became a drain. If usage was reflected in eg new subs or sales I might have looked upon it differently. But as UK firms are now being fined £tens of thousands for data/ privacy breaches I decided the old Discusware had reached end of life. people move on, and there is also much more competition for one's time so a new forum would likely not have enjoyed that much more use anyway. The new EEWeb area is a different animal, some really enjoy it and others don't, due to its engineering focus and lack of chat. I'll probably review this again as a matter of course.

Yes, a Vision 4-way. I'm thinking of expanding to a 6-way
I'd put in a recommendation for the Global Loftbox, which comes in an 8-Way version as well as a 4-way, which isn't that much cheaper. Installed an 8-way in the loft here back in '03.

They're on ATM Amazon for £54.99, eBay for £49.99 new - search on Loftbox only as 'Global' often gets left out. Oddly there's only one used listed today.

Be aware that, based on one a sample of one, there's a possible issue with second-hand units. The 12V supply present on the UHF input for powering a masthead amp is protected by a Polyswitch self-resetting fuse as a lot of aerials present a dead short to DC. These things are usually very reliable but they're not intended for use like this and on an 8-way 'box I spotted very cheap on eBay (no PSU) it had gone o/c. No problem - CPC carry them under FF01871 at £1.50 for 5.

Back