A week of trying - and still no joy

I was born in 59 and knew what "OG" meant though with so many abbreviations and terms used by the boffins here that are often a mystery to me I assumed it was just another one them with an alternative less street meaning.

An F16 is an American fighter plane, and when it goes over your head, it makes a rather loud wooshing sound.

Anyway, enough of this down wid da kidz.

Check the power supply output voltages with your multimeter (search these forums for details and appropriate warnings)?

I've searched the forums for the term 'multimeter' (finally picked the thing up from the seller off Shpock) but I can't find any further information on how to check the relevant readings.
Please be considerate, I have very little electronics experience - but i'm willing to learn (yeah, hopefully not by being electrocuted).

Cheers

Well, you may be heading out of your depth. I think you need to study the sticky thread on disassembly and repair (and then again). Terms like "voltage" and "power supply" and maybe "PCB" could be productive for searches.

You'll find that inside your HDR are four main items: the power supply board on the left (from the front) with its mains voltage entering from the back, the main board (centre and right), the hard disk, which squats over these, and the front panel. On the right edge of the supply board is a connector to the main board that carries the low DC voltages (ca. 12V and 6V), and this is what you're looking for.

Rational paranoia is your friend. Be aware of possible mains voltages even on the supposedly isolated low voltage front half of the power supply board.

Well, you may be heading out of your depth. I think you need to study the sticky thread on disassembly and repair (and then again). Terms like "voltage" and "power supply" and maybe "PCB" could be productive for searches.

You'll find that inside your HDR are four main items: the power supply board on the left (from the front) with its mains voltage entering from the back, the main board (centre and right), the hard disk, which squats over these, and the front panel. On the right edge of the supply board is a connector to the main board that carries the low DC voltages (ca. 12V and 6V), and this is what you're looking for.

Rational paranoia is your friend. Be aware of possible mains voltages even on the supposedly isolated low voltage front half of the power supply board.

Ok, for the third time - I will go back and study the sticky thread.

This has prevented me from poking anything into the box so far ..

I've messaged a friend with a few questions so hopefully he'll be able to help

Back