A week of trying - and still no joy

Millman

Hi all

In my attempt to be environmentally aware I decided to buy a humax HDR Fox T2 from Shpock.
Surprise surprise it didn't work, i've been at it (actually over a) week now - replaced the seagate HD, installed custom firmware, installed the OG firmware, had a cursory look around the hardware (nothing looks bulging or brown/burnt).

It's stuck in the 'System Start' message loop, sounds like some hardware is spinning up for less than a second, then a slight beep sound (could be a side effect of the hardware?, HDD perhaps) and then the display goes blank, it starts again with 'System Start'
I've now got it plugged into the LAN at work, I thought i'd try and access it via Telnet, however I'm not sure what it's IP address is..

I'm determined to fix it, but I think i'm now at my limit of tech fiddling, I would really appreciate some help

Cheers
Rich

... installed the OG firmware ...
???

Try with the disk disconnected?

System Flush FW?

Check the power supply output voltages with your multimeter (search these forums for details and appropriate warnings)?

I doubt that Telnet will be any help if you have such a short up-time.

???

Try with the disk disconnected?

System Flush FW?

Check the power supply output voltages with your multimeter (search these forums for details and appropriate warnings)?

I doubt that Telnet will be any help if you have such a short up-time.

Great, thank you - Yep i'd tried with the SATA cable removed, still same thing. I will give the system flush a shot now - funnily enough, I also just bought a multimeter off Shpock (£4!), fingers crossed that works. I will use that to check voltages. Is it possible to replace the power supply if that's faulty?

Yes, but make sure you're not being sold a simple 12V external adapter, as happened to one forum member. For testing you might be able to fake up a PSU with off-the-shelf 12V and 6V adapters.

Also see possibly the most enterprising HDR repair ever reported which solved symptoms similar to yours.

I'll be very mindful when buying replacement parts, thanks.
That fix is very out-of-the-box, the issue seems very familiar.
I also have access to a hot air gun, however I assume it's not recommended to try this - first step is the multimeter.

Appreciate your time sharing these links to other forum posts, cheers

Thanks. Sorry, but I still fail to see a connection between 'OG' and 'stock'. But now you have pointed it out, no need for further discussion on the subject.

Thanks. Sorry, but I still fail to see a connection between 'OG' and 'stock'. But now you have pointed it out, no need for further discussion on the subject.
No, sorry, I still want to know what "OG" means.

That's not going to work until you can get it booted... and even then only with CF installed.

I take it you are familiar with these?:

I am, the first link is what originally directed me to this forum, thanks for taking the time to make these guides.

Fingers crossed it's not a power issue, as that seems to be the most dangerous of all the repairs! (Although, if would be nice to know what the issues is)

No, sorry, I still want to know what "OG" means.
Cribbed from Google:
According to Urban Dictionary's most popular definition, OG is a simple abbreviation that “used to mean Original Gangster.” It has since been further co-opted to mean simply “original.” Urban Dictionary.

I expect Millman is one of those "millennials" (another term I despise) as nobody understood what he (assumption) was on about.

Cribbed from Google:
According to Urban Dictionary's most popular definition, OG is a simple abbreviation that “used to mean Original Gangster.” It has since been further co-opted to mean simply “original.” Urban Dictionary.

I expect Millman is one of those "millennials" (another term I despise) as nobody understood what he (assumption) was on about.

I was born in 84, so I don't think I'm a millennial.. Generation X? Or was that the 60s kids.. I dunno.
Might be down to coming from East London, maaaate.

I'll be more considerate with my language in future

Back