Access from a macbook pro

CocoNTM

I hope that one of you experts might be able to help?

I have a HDR Fox-T2 running FHTCP 1.03.12. I have been trying for some time to access recordings from my macbook pro. I have managed to connect the device by typing in the IP address into a browser window but if I try to download a recording the file is only a very small html document - not the programme associated with it.

I can see the humax device in the Finder application but when trying to access the files I get an error message "The version of the server you are trying to connect to is not supported . . . "

Has anyone with experience of Apple devices any suggestions about how to proceed, please?

You cannot do this without installing custom firmware on the HDR-FOX, the standard HDR-FOX has no web server or network service to access. The best you could do is access by FTP, for which you would need to turn on the FTP server: Menu >> Settings >> System >> Internet Setting >> FTP Server = On. However, the recordings you copy off that way will be no use to you - see Things Every... (click) section 5.

What you can do is have the HDR-FOX stream content to a media player that is able to operate with DLNA (eg VLC). To do that you must turn on the DLNA server: Menu >> Settings >> System >> Internet Setting >> Content Share = On. It is also possible to grab the stream and save it to a file - for information see HERE (click).

By installing custom firmware you can enable network file sharing (access the HDR-FOX as if it were a NAS), decrypt the content, have a web browser interface with a "download" button, etc etc. See Quick Guide to Custom Firmware (click).

Sounds as if the OP already has the custom firmware installed. I get a similar result when I browse the media folder using Safari on my Mac and try to download a recording via the WebIF. My solution is to use Filezilla on the Mac to FTP the recording off the Humax. The FTP server in the custom firmware is much more reliable than the stock one for this.

I've not had a great deal of success streaming from the Humax to the Mac. I suspect this is more down to deficiencies in the DLNA clients on the Mac than the DLNA server on the Humax. The only client I've ever managed to get to sort-of work is VLC. (I got nowhere with XBMC but I suspect that was largely because I found the user interface utterly impenetrable.)

So I think my advice to the OP would be:
1) If you don't have it already, install the custom firmware, including the WebIF, on the Humax.
2) Don't enable the stock FTP server on the Humax. Use the custom firmware FTP server instead.
3) Don't forget to decrypt the recordings on the Humax, via the WebIF.
4) Use your FTP client of choice on the Mac to download the recordings to your Mac. I use Filezilla.
5) By all means experiment with DLNA by enabling the server on the Humax and trying different clients on the Mac. Bear in mind, though, that this will only allow you to watch the recordings being streamed to the Mac. Without a stream capture tool of some kind (some DNA clients may include this functionality), it won't download the recording to the Mac for you to watch again or process in other ways eg burning to DVD.

Sounds as if the OP already has the custom firmware installed.
There's no mention of it in the first post.

Obviously the custom firmware FTP server is better, but the standard one is OK to access just the media files.
Without a stream capture tool of some kind (some DNA clients may include this functionality), it won't download the recording to the Mac for you to watch again or process in other ways eg burning to DVD.
The link I gave in post 2 paragraph 2 provides hints on this. I believe VLC is also capable of capturing a stream (at least, the PC version).

There's no mention of it in the first post.

I inferred it from the symptoms the OP described, those being similar to what I have seen using the cfw and trying to download from the WebIF - as I stated in my next sentence. In any case, it doesn't make any difference to the recommendations I made since the first one was to install the cfw if that hadn't already been done.
Obviously the custom firmware FTP server is better, but the standard one is OK to access just the media files.

My experience is that the standard FTP server absolutely isn't OK for that (see this thread - and note also my reference to the problem I experienced using the WebIF opt+ download function) - hence my recommendation to use the cfw one.
I believe VLC is also capable of capturing a stream (at least, the PC version).

There you go: when you take a break from nit-picking other forum members' posts, you do have useful information to offer. ;)

Any of what you call nit-picking is, to me, a quest for facts rather than isolated data points. Why not let the OP reply to confirm the situation rather than assuming - this is, after all the vanilla section (no custom firmware presumed) of the forum.

The native FTP has worked fine for me in the past, no reason to presume your experience is universal. The primary reason for the betaftp package is to access the non-media areas of the file system.

It look very much like the OP has the custom firmware installed and is trying to access the recordings on the Humax over SMB. The SMB client shipped with recent versions of Mac OS X (since version 10.7) is known to have interoperability problems with older servers. The closest equivalent to Samba is NFS which works fine with the Mac as long as the recordings are decrypted.

Another vote for filezilla here. Its not brillant but its pretty reliable and the transfer speeds on my network seem ok, 4mbs a second

4 millibits per second would make you bitcoin rich in one hour! :rolleyes:

(Well, actually, £1,290.24 an hour.)

Back