Access to the web if when in stand-by

Andy Hurley

I'm sure this is a silly rookie question but I seem to be having trouble connecting to my HDR when the box has gone into standby. I've searched these forums but not come up with anything.

I only got the HRD a couple of weeks ago and installed the custom firmware after a couple of days. I love being able to manage recordings when I'm upstairs on my laptop, it's a big step up from the 3-View which I have given up on after the disc failed.

The problem I am having is that when the Hummy goes into standby all the connections to it seem to die. Any file copies I am running on my laptop give up, I can't see the web if and even the uPnP seems to disappear. At first I thought this was because I had power saving standby turned on but I have disabled this and still get the same problem. I don't seem to be able to stop it going into standby (or maybe it's my wife pressing standby when she goes to bed).

What am I doing wrong or is this expected behaviour?

Thanks.

I believe that is expected behaviour when in standby as the HDD powers down. Probably best to ask Mrs Hurley what she's playing at ;)
Even in non-power saving mode?

I find the hummy seems to just go to sleep by itself after a while too which means I can rarely see it on the network when I want to.

Even in non-power saving mode?

I find the hummy seems to just go to sleep by itself after a while too which means I can rarely see it on the network when I want to.
Others may have broader experience of this.

As far as I know it shouldn't skip to standby when tuned into any channel.

I think the HDD will still power down in non-power saving mode but still utilise the display (clock etc..) and not need a full boot when it wakes to record or view using the remote. I think of it like hibernation on a laptop (I may be wrong on this though!)

There is an idle powerdown timeout separate from power-saving (which only controls whether the UHF signal path remains powered up in stand-by). See

Menu >> Settings >> System >> Power Management >> Automatic Power Down​

I have mine set to "Off".

And no, you would not expect to be able to access the WebIF while it is in standby, unless it was actually half-awake to record something.

There is an idle powerdown timeout separate from power-saving (which only controls whether the UHF signal path remains powered up in stand-by). See

Menu >> Settings >> System >> Power Management >> Automatic Power Down​

I have mine set to "Off".

And no, you would not expect to be able to access the WebIF while it is in standby, unless it was actually half-awake to record something.

I've just tried setting mine to off and gone back to the laptop. I can see the webIF now but not the uPnP entry and I can't play files via the Samba mount (but I can browse them).

This is all very confusing. Maybe I'll just give it a power down reboot.

From your last comment it sounds like there is no mode I can use to make it behave like a true network drive which is a little disappointing. It's not much good if I set up a series of file transfers that will take a few hours and then someone happens to press standby causing them all to fail. Maybe I will have to configure a universal remote (I have a Harmony kicking around) and leave out the standby button, confiscating the real remote but that seems a bit excessive.

Very hard making things proof of unwanted user input, and we don't have a Wake-On-LAN option. Something you could do is set it to record all night (and then bin the recording). The data rate wouldn't be too great if you record a radio channel. Even if it was put into standby the processor would still be active.

I assume the HDR shuts down when in standby to save power and receives a trigger from a timer chip which triggers it to power up at the correct time, just like a PC from hibernate.

Yes, there is a standalone processor that lives in the front panel and runs continuously. It's responsible for maintaining the clock, listening for IR signals and waking up the main box when necessary ready for a recording. The wakeup time is programmed by the Humax software on shutdown.

Back