Access via macbook air

gat

Hi,
Trying to connect to humax from macbook but fails. Humax icon appears in macbook "network" but when i click to connect i get "connection failed". If i "connect as" instead then i get "There was a problem connecting to the humax. The version of the server you are trying to connect to is not supported ...". This works ok on windows 10 but not the mac. Humax is running latest custom firmware. Can anyone please offer a solution. Thanks.

I don't know. With windows 10 it just worked. I am just trying to browse the folders in the same way as you would with a network drive.

I don't know. With windows 10 it just worked. I am just trying to browse the folders in the same way as you would with a network drive.
Do you have the Samba Server package installed and configured on the Humax? If not I guess Windows 10 is using DLNA (setting on the Humax is called content sharing). Do you have a DLNA client installed on the Mac?

I have the samba server installed on the humax but i don't know how to configure it - i have never used Linux, despite being an embedded software engineer for over 30yrs. I don't have a dnla client installed on my mac. I presumed i could use the mac to browse the files on my humax without installing a dnla client. My mac browses files on my NAS ok with no additional setup.

So whatever setup you did on your NAS, you need to do on the Humax too. In this context it's being a file server like the NAS. Then the Mac client should be equally happy with both servers.

It's not impossible that the Mac's Apple implementation of a SMB file sharing client has some incompatibility with the slightly out-of-date version of SAMBA from the Humax CF repo such that no combination of settings on the two sides will work (not previously reported, though, AFAIK). You could replace it with an implementation based on the SAMBA code (SMBUp?, or presumably through Homebrew, which you might enjoy if you don't get enough s/w development at work).

Win10 may well be using DLNA to browse the content rather than network file sharing, and the Mac may be trying to do the same thing.

IIRC, don't you need NFS for network file sharing with the Mac rather than SMB? Try installing the nfs-utils package. That will expose the HDR-FOX media by NFS with a default configuration.

Note that playback (of StDef, or unprotected HiDef) by DLNA does not need recordings to be pre-decrypted (which is one way you can tell it's a DLNA stream not a file share), but by network file sharing everything needs to be decrypted first.

slightly out-of-date version of SAMBA from the Humax CF repo
Slightly???
Significantly would be a better choice.
IIRC there's nothing can be done about that.

Slightly???
Significantly would be a better choice.
I do like an understatement but perhaps 14 years for a software package is stretching it!
See SMB/Samba server version. And originally:
Have now managed to get Samba up and running on the HDR Fox T2.
This is version 2.2.12 which is the last of the version 2 series. The codebase more than doubled in size with version 3.0.0 so I didn't even attempt to compile it.
But that sounds like a challenge. I found I could configure a native build for samba-4.7.12 with a few hacks, but a native build founders on our broken perl -- yes, even more than out of the book. If there's any further progress, it should go where it's more on-topic, such as the thread linked above.

Win10 may well be using DLNA to browse the content rather than network file sharing, and the Mac may be trying to do the same thing.

IIRC, don't you need NFS for network file sharing with the Mac rather than SMB? Try installing the nfs-utils package. That will expose the HDR-FOX media by NFS with a default configuration.

Note that playback (of StDef, or unprotected HiDef) by DLNA does not need recordings to be pre-decrypted (which is one way you can tell it's a DLNA stream not a file share), but by network file sharing everything needs to be decrypted first.

I have nfs-

I have nfs-utils package installed too, as this is what I thought the mac used until samba was mentioned. Doesn't work with nfs or samba, unless i need to configure them somehow?

Back