Accessing NAS/Windows Network Shares?

lorenz

Hello,

This has got me stumped and I was wondering if somebody can suggest a solution.

I have a collection of video material on a Buffalo LinkStation NAS which I am accessing, at the moment, using a small Android stick plugged into the TV running a version of XMBC (called SPMC)

This solution is not satisfactory because the remote control of the Android stick is very imprecise, and expecially, the text shown by the Android stick is very small. It's near impossible to read and hit with the remote when across the room.

I understand recent Humax boxes (mine is a 9150T) are able to connect to the network, and I was wondering whether they can actually access a plain vanilla SMB/CIFS share on the NAS and play video content from there, without DNLA, using a normal remote control.

Not using DNLA has several purposes:
- the DNLA server on the Buffalo LAN is very poorly implemented
- I could take the Humax with me to work, connect it to the company LAN and display content on work TVs for training and stuff.
- I could display on the TV video content in any network share

I read the manuals for the 1800/2000 but could not find a clear "no you can't" warning.

Any ideas?

I'm not particularly stuck on replacing the 9150T which still works, I even thought about a BluRay player, if it has that specific feature.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts

Lorenz

PS I'm not too keen on a media player (like the WD Live) because it's a bit of a single-trick pony, unless I can find a used one one real cheap

No you can't.

DLNA is the only network access available to unmodified HD-FOX/HDR-FOX/HDR-1800T/HDR-2000T. Modification is only available for HD-FOX/HDR-FOX.

- the DNLA server on the Buffalo LAN is very poorly implemented
DLNA is crap on everything I've tried it on. The idiots who designed it clearly had no clue.
PS I'm not too keen on a media player (like the WD Live) because it's a bit of a single-trick pony, unless I can find a used one one real cheap
Mine is crap. It's cumbersome, slow, sound goes out of sync etc. etc.
At the time I bought it, not long after all the hard disk factory trouble in Thailand, it wasn't much more expensive than the disk it contained. I just use it as a backup box now.

Hello,

This has got me stumped and I was wondering if somebody can suggest a solution.

I have a collection of video material on a Buffalo LinkStation NAS which I am accessing, at the moment, using a small Android stick plugged into the TV running a version of XMBC (called SPMC)

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts
I've not done it myself, but this might work and seems to be the latest buzz way to view stuff on the TV - get a Chromecast dongle, so whatever you view on your phone/tablet gets cast onto the TV.

I use MX Player on my Nexus tablet and access video from my NAS drive no problem, so I assume casting to the TV should then work

DLNA is crap on everything I've tried it on. The idiots who designed it clearly had no clue.

Mine is crap. It's cumbersome, slow, sound goes out of sync etc. etc.
At the time I bought it, not long after all the hard disk factory trouble in Thailand, it wasn't much more expensive than the disk it contained. I just use it as a backup box now.

Obviously a case of horses for courses.

I can stream from my Synology NAS (DLNA) to our Panasonic TV flawlessly. I can stream from my Synology NAS (DLNA) to our HDR-1000s, this performs well but not as well as the TV. I can stream from our Panasonic HWT-120 PVR to the Panasonic TV again flawlessly including HD material.

In fact the Panasonic TV is a real star with DLNA. The only machine that has refused to play well is our 2000T streaming to the 1000s - rubbish.

Back