Accessing network storage

c4llum

Hi,

I have sucessfully set up my HDR today to access the portal via WiFi (Edimax dongle as recomended), but I cannot get the Media section to see the 2tb USB storage device I have attached to my BT Home Hub 2. This has all my video files on it and I can easily access this from the Network map on my laptop (running Vista) to watch video files through VLC.

The Humax recognises the "BT Home Hub 2.0 Media Gateway" but when I click this it just says "Upper Folder" and doesn't show the additional storage drive that should be there... any ideas how I can make this drive accessible from my Hummy?

You have to configure your NAS to serve media files by DLNA. Fire up the control panel and see if there are any options to do that - if not, then you can't.

Cheers Black Hole, a quick replay as ever!

Unfortunately it's not a NAS/DNLA drive, just a standard 2TB USB storage drive that, when connected to the USB port on my BT Home Hub 2, can be accessed over the network map. It's a trick I picked up in a BT forum!

Basically it's a cheap alternative to a NAS and works perfectly from my laptop, so I can connect that to the TV via a PC monitor cable and watch files on the big screen using VLC. I guess it won't work wirelessesly over the network to the Hummy though.

Oh well, after only a day of playing I already think the HDR Fox T2 is a superb piece of HD freeview kit, but I suppose - unlike some people on these forums - I can't realistically expect it to do everything!

With the custom firmware, you should be able to mount the homehub, assuming it's using something standard like Windows compatible file sharing.

With the custom firmware, you should be able to mount the homehub, assuming it's using something standard like Windows compatible file sharing.

Thanks af123, i've only had it for one day so i'm not confident enough yet to even consider using custom firmware... one day maybe...

as my laptop sits right next to the TV it's probably best I stick to using this to access my network storage and leave the Hummy for recording lots of good old fashioned TV!

I don't think so. If I've read between the lines properly, the home hub is providing a remote USB socket facility which requires a specific utility running in Windows to create a USB port. I have something similar connecting my USB printers.

@c4llum: why not plug your drive straight in to the Humax?

I don't think so. If I've read between the lines properly, the home hub is providing a remote USB socket facility which requires a specific utility running in Windows to create a USB port. I have something similar connecting my USB printers.

@c4llum: why not plug your drive straight in to the Humax?

unfortunately it is more than just a media drive and backs up all my photos, music and important documents etc so I need PC access to it - plus the rear usb port is in use (wifi dongle) and I dont want anything permanently in the front usb port. Thanks for the tips though - you've all been really helpful!

Just for info, you could use a USB hub to split the rear port, and you could (I am given to understand) access the drive from a PC by FTP. I appreciate that would probably not meet your needs though. The custom software enables you to mount a drive as a network share, which probably would meet your needs.

Back