Accurate Recording (AR), Padding, and Lost Series Links

I have added details to the first post regarding recording priorities when conflicts arise post-schedule.

Hi Guys

Nice forum and thread, I am a Newbie, so I can't comment on using the HDR yet, but I already have a Panny DVD HD Recorder with Freview (1 tuner) and it uses AR (called Guide Link) as well as padding, so when I set a recording up, I can amend the start time by up to 5 mins before the scheduled time and the end time by up to 10 mins after. This allows the box to still look for the signal, but if it wont miss the beginning of the programme.

This means that if I record a programme such as The Good Wife on More4 I can tweak the setting of the series, as for some reason More4 are getting bad at sending the start signal. (Last nights episode started recording at 21:04hrs instead of 21:00hrs and as such I can now update the series to start at 20:59hrs.

But if a programme is running later or been postponed, such as Hustle then the box wont record anything.

I do this on a regular basis if i ever record on any of the Channel 5 channels as they always miss the beginning off!

Looks like I will have to do some trial and error to work out what to do with recording on the Hummy.

Hi Guys!

I have tried to add the Multi Mode Recording via WebIf, but I can't see the Multi Mode package, am imissing something?

Great Custom Firmware by the way, really easy to add and set up!:)

I have just added it via webif package management, it is listed as multimode 0.0.1 , but in order to see it, you need to have "Show development and advanced packages?" turned on in webif settings, advanced settings.

As far as I know, the WebIF version still only supports per-channel selection. If you want to choose on a programme-by-programme basis you will have to use the Remote Scheduling service (no packages required).

I have just added it via webif package management, it is listed as multimode 0.0.1 , but in order to see it, you need to have "Show development and advanced packages?" turned on in webif settings, advanced settings.

Thanks Brian, unfortunately when I try to add the advanced settings and hit save I get a message underneath that says "Development Package Display unchanged" and when I go to package management I have the text at the bottom saying: "This is a filtered package list. To show all packages, enable the Show development and advanced packages in the settings screen."

As far as I know, the WebIF version still only supports per-channel selection. If you want to choose on a programme-by-programme basis you will have to use the Remote Scheduling service (no packages required).
Cheers Black Hole, i will have a look at that, although i find that only certain channels are the worst, (CH5, More4 and the ilk!)

Thanks Brian, unfortunately when I try to add the advanced settings and hit save I get a message underneath that says "Development Package Display unchanged" and when I go to package management I have the text at the bottom saying: "This is a filtered package list. To show all packages, enable the Show development and advanced packages in the settings screen."
Presumably you are using webif 0.8.13, this behaviour seems to be a bug introduced in this version, I have reported this as a bug, see my posts Here.

We will have to wait for af123 to fix this.;)

This bug has now been fixed so if you upgrade to webif 0.8.13-1, you will be able to select "Show development and advanced packages?" which will then allow you to see and install the multimode 0.0.1 package.

This bug has now been fixed so if you upgrade to webif 0.8.13-1, you will be able to select "Show development and advanced packages?" which will then allow you to see and install the multimode 0.0.1 package.

Thanks Brian, I still get filtered list even after changing the settings to "On" I think for now I will simply leave this alone as i apear to have all I need for now!

I've also made multimode a standard package.

Cheers af123 It works perfectly and very simple to understand, I must say the service you guys provide on here is simply fantastic! Well done!:)

Hi - not sure if this is the right place to tag this enquiry, but I've been scouring the forums and this seems to be the only one which mentions manual recording - yes, I know it's a retrograde step ! I have a situation where I will be away for a few days and want certain programmes recorded - I normally use Padding, since in my experience it is more reliable round here (Mendip tx) than AR. Anyway, I want to record two programmes on Sunday on BBC1 where the 2nd follows on from the 1st, but I also want to record something else which will be recording at the BBC1 programmes changeover time. With padding, this won't work of course, so I reverted to a trick I sometimes used with my old 9200T, namely a manual recording set to start at the beginning of prog 1 and finish at the end of prog 2 - I can then split them if I want to, or just watch one then the other. So I set this up, but the manual recording does not show in the Schedule for Sunday in the Web IF nor the RS Scheduler. Is this known, and can it be fixed, or is it just something to put up with if using Manual Recording ? Or maybe I should risk AR and see what happens ! Many thanks

The manual setting will be right at the end of the schedule list, after all the redundant series entries (that are hanging around with no time set waiting to see if the series continues inside three months). Scan down to the bottom of the page and it should be there.

I'm not sure why you think the padding recording won't work. For consecutive programmes the padding time in between gets dropped, so there will be no attempt to record three things simultaneously. The only problem with it is if the programmes do not switch at the scheduled time (in which case the end of one will be on the beginning of the other, or vice versa).

Take a look at Things Every... section 3.

Hi Black Hole - thanks for that - of course I didn't think to look right down the bottom of the list ! Learn something every day ! I accept padding won't stop recordings happening, but the point you make that the cut off may be wrong was what I meant I was trying to avoid

Apologies if this has been covered somewhere else, but I couldn't find this exact 'bug' described anywhere. It's happened a couple of times now.
Also this is a heads up for anyone following CSI (the proper one - Vegas).

This time specifically: We have CSI (usu. 9pm Tues) on series record, and it's been fine the last few weeks. This week commencing 20 May they have a special xover with CSINY.
Today (Fri) while doing a routine check of the schedule I noticed that CSI wasn't set on Tuesday. On closer examination I saw that the series had been co-opted with a new title for the xover and the next recording was in fact now Monday at 9pm. So far so good - not.

We already have two series recordings on Monday at 9, so my schedule now contained three 9pm starts; clearly a major clash, but no warning had been given. What would have happened if it was left like this? Would it give a warning sometime before?

I also noticed that the 'usual' Tuesday episode wasn't shown in the blue extension (where the next episode is in the epg you right click the main/first episode and it shows the others). Clearly it's within the 7 days so should have been there, so I guess C5 broke the IDs again.

I've fixed both issues by deleting the reservation, setting the Monday episode as a single recording on C5+1 and then restarted the series record from the Tuesday episode. Obviously I'll be checking later next week to see if the latter sticks.

(I don't know if it is relevant but I have the custom firmware with multi-mode setting the C5 channels to padding. The other channels involved here are AR.)

This isn't a bug as such, it's just what happens. As standard, conflicts are only detected at the time the schedule is made, and you would not have had a warning if subsequent recordings clash (there would have been a failed recording). This is hardly an AR problem.

The RS service can send you an email if it detects recording conflicts in your schedule, which should give you a week's notice. It tends to be a bit aggressive, in that it will sometimes issue a warning when there is no actual conflict.

This happened with 'The Good Wife' a couple of episodes back. You just have to live with it and check the schedule regularly.

This isn't a bug as such, it's just what happens.

Well, let's say it's a 'shortfall in desirable functionality'.
I can perfectly understand that AR will result in occasional unexpected conflicts, but when such an obvious one is present many days in advance I'd have hoped the system would raise an alert.

I don't use the RS service at present. Can I join it so I get such notifications, but continue to use the normal interface or occasionally webif, to do my scheduling?
Regards aggressive warnings I've had instances where the HDR itself wouldn't allow me to schedule a recording due to conflict, even though there wasn't one, so maybe it's a box problem rather than the RS service.

Regards aggressive warnings I've had instances where the HDR itself wouldn't allow me to schedule a recording due to conflict, even though there wasn't one, so maybe it's a box problem rather than the RS service.

Usually down to incorrect crid's by the broadcaster. Often caused by a series crid being present but no programme crid. I have had just 1 incorrect warning of a non existant clash from the RS service. Ignored it and the recordings worked fine.

Back