Accurate Recording: Downton Abbey & Lewis

Well, you got at least a crucial few seconds extra if you got that far an the first episode. Tonight it stopped just short of the end credits on ITV & ITV HD recordings; fortunately we were watching live, so didn't miss anything.
Since SD appears to be as bad as HD, I am trying +1, which appears to be better (but haven't tried enough programmes to be sure).

Just for the record (Winter Hill), started at 21:02:36, a few frames before the sponsor's intro, and ended at 22:01:25, a few frames before the end of the credits.

I wonder if ITV are, without obviously breaking Freeview/Freesat rules about AR, deliberately building in some uncertainty so that people will watch live instead of recording (and thus watch the adverts).
Yeah, my cynical side perhaps, but we are not talking about idiots here :)

Equally maybe, it makes it less easy to create clean copies (not that any programme is broadcast "clean" these days - there's always some kind of voice-over on the end credits).

I do not record very many ITV 1 programmes but did set Downton Abbey for the last 3 weeks.
After having AR cut off the ends of the first 2 recordings, with the need to watch the ends using ITV player/catch up, I set the most recent episode as a padded recording with 2 minutes before and 10 minutes after. Just as well as AR would have cut off the last 2 minutes.

It would seem that on these occasions ITV is not using AR as intended, and just sending out the start and end signals to the listing times.
Another example was on Monday night for "The Job Lot" where the previous programme over ran by 8 minutes but AR still started and ended at the listed time cutting off the end. Another need to use catch up!
A benefit for ITV is that each time I had to watch 2 sets of adverts before I could scroll to the end and watch the missing part. :sneaky:

This may or may not be custom firmware related (probably not), but since I have CF installed, it may have a bearing on diagnosis.

I don't record off ITV HD a great deal, but I have recently had some problems with accurate recording on recent episodes; Downton Abbey Eps 2 & 3 (but not 1) and the recent Lewis Ep 1.
In each case, the end of the programme is missing, the recording start time is 1 minute before scheduled start time (suggesting that it received a start signal?) and the duration is the expected 60 minutes.

AR seems to be working well on other channels, and I wouldn't have expected this many problems from a channel like ITV HD.

Has anyone experienced a similar problem? Are there any logs that may be of use?
I use ar and Lewis episode 1 recorded just about correctly. It starts with the ident and finishes a few seconds after this.

EDIT : also downton seems to record ok on ar. probably starts a few seconds late.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
PS: this whole bloody "New_ Lewis" type nonsense in the file/directory names is really getting on my t*ts. Makes it a pain in the backside to find programmes in the (long) list on our player.
that newk app works a treat. only thing that defeats it , they started using more and more imaginative ways to say new.

talking about ITV AR though one place where they really screwed them up was the rugby world cup. recordings were stopped part way through matches. when the next programme was a second match you did not loose anything but if that was the last in the day you were forced to watch their damn adverts on the iplayer.

Last edited:
Back