Adding new HD channels.

HHGTTG

I haven't re-tuned my Humax for some months now and wish to add some new HD channels, 105-107 and 108 and I'd like to do this without doing a full auto retune thus losing my scheduled programmes to record which I believe a full re-tune does.
Can someone tell me whether this is done via the Channel Edit facility in the menu settings and does this involve adding a channel number manually and the Humax thus finding it and subsequently storing it?

Adding new channels is done by retuning the frequencies for the appropriate multiplexes. This can be done by manual tuning, and will involve two multiplexes in your case. You will lose any recording schedules from BBC1 HD, BBC2 HD, itv HD, and Channel 4 HD.

You can reload from the backup if using custom software accepting that the channels changed their names if you scanned them all in so others have to be done manually - received wisdom by reading the threads and this is only the SD channels with the fancy regional name that were introduced causing problems with restoring the backup. I prefer a manual search with network search enabled although on the Sandy Heath transmitter and possibly all COM7s across the country this was not linked into the network search so you did have to pick that one off manually or do a full scan which in the past has given back of the aerial issues in MK e.g. Oxford placed on the low numbers and Sandy Heath the strong transmitter placed on the top extended channel numbers - hence why manual search with an optional network search on that transmitter is better. Meanwhile back in London on Crystal Palace this is suppose to be transmitting on COM8 but doesn't bring anything in assume it's a carrier and not the digital stream. No test cards there.

The channel number is found on here
Code:
http://www.ukfree.tv/fullstory.php?storyid=1107052121
or via postcode
Code:
http://www.ukfree.tv/transmitters.php

Meanwhile back in London on Crystal Palace this is suppose to be transmitting on COM8 but doesn't bring anything in assume it's a carrier and not the digital stream. No test cards there.
Not yet seen a carrier on COM8 from Crystal Palace. However, the new Local mux (UHF channel 29) is broadcasting colour bars on LCN 791 & 792.

I prefer a manual search with network search enabled although on the Sandy Heath transmitter and possibly all COM7s across the country this was not linked into the network search so you did have to pick that one off manually or ...
The network scan for Crystal Palace only links the Crystal Palace standard definition channels. This means that for Crystal Palace the BBC B HD also has to be searched manually unless that is used to start the process off, but that will still leave out COM7 HD and L-Lon.
Are you starting your Sandy Heath Network search with channel 21 (BBC B HD), or does Sandy Heath's Network search include BBC B HD? (From Sandy Heath I can only receive BBC B HD and so can't try it out for myself.)

For Sudbury the channels defined in the Network search are the Standard Definition Tacolneston channels. Depending on where someone lives this will result in no additional channels found or just a mess. There have been reports of other transmitters which have been set up to look for the wrong transmitter's channels.

Obviously Network search suits you (and also me on the occasional Crystal Palace tune) but IMO for most people the Network search is just not worth the hassle as there are too many exceptions which either get incorrect results or need an understanding of further manual tuning.

Edit: Corrected typos

Black Hole that text is written incorrectly, a network search ties the search to just to that transmitter not to a network the covers the country. Thus a manual search with network enabled should bring in all muxs from that transmitter location over coming the problem talked about but as said for Sandy Heath this is now faulty and COM7 isn't linked in. Thus I would agree I wouldn't advice it due to the information held in the search data's being incomplete rather a misunderstanding on whoever wrote that piece knowing what it did.

XYZ321 yes I get those two in London.... I'm sure the programmes are going to be dreadful mind you.

Meanwhile back in London on Crystal Palace this is suppose to be transmitting on COM8 but doesn't bring anything in assume it's a carrier and not the digital stream. No test cards there.
The ukfreetv site is frequently incorrect. It appears to show Crystal Palace Com8 starting in 2013 (as well as Com7 and local). Is that where you got your information from?

Luke reading around its "started" but only a carrier e.g. broadcasting something but not in a form that can be tuned in. I see elsewhere in the country COM8 went off air again, so probably "starting" means starting sporadic test transmissions not starting full time.

OK as I recall the BBC HD MUX as the trigger search point hence my annoyance that it didn't bring in COM7. Then on the next network search I did it left out BBC HD presume using COM7 I reverted to manual search without network search. MK is a prime example of where a full search gets everything screwed up with the 800s due to the Oxford transmitter coming in over Sandy Heath and indeed another one which comes in delivering Southampton news to North Bucks in preference to Anglia news.

I would get rid of the smilley to the right but Android Firefox beta won't allow me. :(
:)

That's because the wonderful engineers aren't using it correctly or it has a design floor between SD and HD searches. On the one hand we have the automated searches pulling in back of the aeriel stuff that messes up the channel numbering, the poor documentation according to Luke on the UKfree checker, the box waking up in the night to do random stuff to unadulterated boxes.

Here in London I know I only get Crystal Palace so happy to do automated full search with back up of timer events restored rather than manual searches. I tinker with that when checking for COM8.... obviously all affected by how many glasses of wine consumed at the time.

the poor documentation according to Luke on the UKfree checker
To be fair to ukfree.tv may I say that it is not an official site, and despite its unreliability it still can serve a useful purpose, but it IMO can be more useful if what it reports is not treated as gospel.

Black Hole that text is written incorrectly, a network search ties the search to just to that transmitter not to a network the covers the country. Thus a manual search with network enabled should bring in all muxs from that transmitter location over coming the problem talked about but as said for Sandy Heath this is now faulty and COM7 isn't linked in. Thus I would agree I wouldn't advice it due to the information held in the search data's being incomplete rather a misunderstanding on whoever wrote that piece knowing what it did.
Maybe, but it doesn't do anything useful so don't use it.

Do you have some kind of special knowledge of what it is supposed to do?

Just did a full auto retune and now have BBC3HD but not BBC4HD. I receive from the Mendip transmitter. Is this right or should I be getting BBC4HD as well?

Dave

Just did a full auto retune and now have BBC3HD but not BBC4HD. I receive from the Mendip transmitter. Is this right or should I be getting BBC4HD as well?
Depending on where you are, you might be able to get COM7 from Wenvoe on Ch.31
I am and it's mostly OK despite being off the side of the aerial. AR recordings haven't worked for me so far, although timed ones seem OK.

Back