Advice Appreciated

Peter H

Hi,

I bought a 1Gb Fox T2 about 9 months ago and put on custom F/W. All has been OK till today, I went to change back from local repeater to my main transmitter (Wenvoe) and it froze, I now have it working but would like some advice if it happens again!!
When it froze I could not use and remote buttons except the on/off. I use a Harmony R/C so checked Hummy R/C and buttons on the box - same problem.
Powered on and off and it was still stuck on previous channel BUT noticed that the black lower text panel with channel details remains on and seem to be stuck at this point so will not accept inputs (just my thoughts).
Eventually got it working, I was playing with the front panel and it suddenly started to work.
Could someone give me advice on what might have caused it and any diagnostics I can do to isolate and resolve it?
I assume its not HDD related but if so is there SMART on it?
Thanks
Peter H

Unfortunately random freezes and crashes are a fact of life with the Humax and unless they become excessive it is not worth trying to find a cause
The benefits of the CF out way the inconvenience
Using a time switch to ensure a daily reset can be useful if going on vacation.

Oooops sorry I did not read your post.
Just checked SMART and it has a warning:
Reallocated_Sector_Ct of 74.
I acknowledged it, do I just keep monitoring to see if it changes significantly? I assume it will trip on the limit but will it warn again before it reaches it?
Thanks
Peter H

Just checked SMART and it has a warning:
Reallocated_Sector_Ct of 74.
I acknowledged it, do I just keep monitoring to see if it changes significantly? I assume it will trip on the limit but will it warn again before it reaches it?
74 sectors isn't a significant concern. If the only problem is a slowly rising count of reallocated sectors the drive will keep going for a considerable time. Not sure what you mean by "trip on the limit"?

OK thanks for the info.
I thought that SMART had limits, that if exceeded, would give warnings. I just wondered why it was reporting a problem with 74.
Was it because the box froze and had to reset itself that the customSW/webpage highlighted the problem?
PS box is still OK and count is still at 74

Regards
Peter H

I thought that SMART had limits, that if exceeded, would give warnings. I just wondered why it was reporting a problem with 74.
Personally I think the Webif does sometimes lead people to believe their hard drive is in a worse state than it really is.
Was it because the box froze and had to reset itself that the customSW/webpage highlighted the problem?
I stand to be corrected, but I think it was because the count had increased since the last time you looked.

OK thanks - no problems now so all is well, still much better than my Digitalstream box which eventually suffered from out of date chip and transmition changes, but was a good piece of kit and served me well over the years.

Back