Advice on software updates

John Bangor

We have just gone fully digital here in Northern Ireland at the end of October but I have had my Humax HDR-Fox T2 for 18 months in readiness. Getting the HD channels OK but notice the volume on them is much lower than on standard channels - anyone got any ideas on why?

Secondly - just connected to my router with a cable and connecting OK apart from You Tube. I get a message telling me I should update the software first to 1.02.07, but also telling me that is the current software version on my box.

Checked the menu and it shows software version FHTCP 1.02.07 and loader version a7.30.

I have downloaded the hdf file for 1.02.29 onto my pc in readiness to try and upgrade but before I make a right pig's ear of it all can any of you knowledgeable guys advise me in simple terms - can I do this update, using a memory stick as per Humax instructions - or do i need to do something about the loader version as well? ell out of my depth here but would like to get You Tube on telly if possible.

Thanks

There used to be a discrepancy between the perceived volumes of StDef and HiDef, and we have had lots of arguments about the pros and cons, but it was levelled out in one of the firmware updates.

No problem updating to 1.02.29, although some of us choose to stick with 1.02.20. You can read about the reasons HERE (click), section 1. The manual update procedure is fully documented HERE (click).

You might also like to get up to speed with background reading, see the links in my signature panel.

I can detect quite a difference in volume when i swop over to HD - volume drops considerably but can live with that. Should I be able to receive You Tube with 1.02.20? If I can I will happily stay on that s/w release but it won't start up for me. Thanks again.

Just YouTube or the whole TV Portal?
The rest seems to be working - just You Tube wont - tells me I need to update software to 1.02.07 even though I have 1.02.07.

Will I be able to download 1.02.20 from Humax website and do I need to do anything about loader version a7.30? Thanks

No need to worry about the loader.

I think 1.02.20 is still available to download, see the Wiki HERE (click), otherwise "somebody" can supply it if you definitely want it. Try 1.02.29 first if you like. I use .20 and YouTube is fine - although I don't know about today in particular (it has its moments).

OK thanks - i feel confident enough to give the 1.02.29 a go in the morning then. Its the only one coming up for download on the website - so will go ahead with it

Thanks for the help.

I can detect quite a difference in volume when i swop over to HD - volume drops considerably but can live with that. Should I be able to receive You Tube with 1.02.20? If I can I will happily stay on that s/w release but it won't start up for me. Thanks again.
Yes the volume on HD is different.
I have found that the best solution is to set the Humax Fox T2 to volume level 16. Then use the TV to control the volume.
I have also set Humax Menu>>Preferences>>Audio>>Dolby Digital to "multi channel" this effectively locks the volume on HD channels.
I know it's not perfect but using TV to control the volume means that you don't get volume differences when switching to other input devices like DVDs, DLNA, etc.. Assuming you have the TV set up properly that is.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Curious.

I don't notice any significant difference between HiDef and StDef volume levels over HDMI, and I have the audio setting on stereo so the Humax volume sets both levels. Note that the "multichannel" trick does not necessarily freeze the HiDef volume, it depends on the TV and how it interprets the HDMI information.

Curious.

I don't notice any significant difference between HiDef and StDef volume levels over HDMI, and I have the audio setting on stereo so the Humax volume sets both levels. Note that the "multichannel" trick does not necessarily freeze the HiDef volume, it depends on the TV and how it interprets the HDMI information.
Thanks for that, I could almost see the "Humax volume control doesn't work with HD Channels" discussion starting up again.;) The Only way to stop the Humax volume control from working with HD Channels is to use the Optical output.:)

Thanks for the help guys - now on 1.02.20 with You Tube functioning well.

Could well not have TV set up correctly - sound is played out through Panasonic DVD / HDD system with HDMI but have always had to use jack plug lead as well to get sound from external speakers and never figured out why that is - but I can live easily with the set up I have achieved! Thanks again.

Hmmm. Very curious - I find all the HD channels louder than SD. Mind you it depends on the programme, some are best with volume set to zero and picture off.

Me too, I play through an amp and always have to increase volume for HD channels. For Socrates's last comment-I read a book!

Back