Advice Required

dan888

Hi,

I've been playing around for a while with creating a media library at home to store photos, video and music. Up to now this was going to be Apple / iTunes / Apple TV based.

Now I have my new Humax set-up it appears to be quite easy and a lot more flexible.

I have the Humax HDR Fox T2 with a fantastic Edimax WiFi dongle I picked up from Maplins. Everything "just works" out of the box.

I only want to view my media library on my Hummy via the main TV for now and I don't want to copy everything to the HDD. I would also like the media library to be independent of my Mac or main PC so I don't need to leave them on.

I'm looking at a small NAS with built in DLNA capability so I can stream over WiFi.

I found this; http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/iomeg...ard-drive-cloud-edition-1tb-09531068-pdt.html

Questions;

This seems like a bargain for 1TB + DLNA?

Does anyone have experience of this device or could recommend a similar one at a similar price point?

I guess this could stream over WiFi or plug direct via the front or rear USB?

Advice appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Dan

I have a very similar Iomega unit which I found disappointing, the main problem being that it had no auto-standby - the only way to shut it down (IIRC) was either physically or by a web control panel (and then you had to physically turn it on again). Too noisy to leave on all the time. All this was before a Humax came into the household and I have not resurrected it to see what happens.

The USB connection is not to access the Iomega - it's a master socket so you can connect an additional portable/external drive. All the access has to be via the Ethernet port.

My advice would be to spend a bit more for a full-featured unit (assuming Iomega have not added auto-standby in the mean time).

Hi I bought an LG NAS that is dlna compliant. It's actuually a mini server - 1TB Raid, with DLNA, DNNS, Printserver, webserver, Ftp ...
I have been able to get it to stream to my computer, android phone and hummy. With various levels of success mainly hummy isn't a great dlna client for many file types.

Ibought mine from ebuyer.com for £120 including 2x 500GB hot swappable drives and dvd burner built in. I found another company that still sells them - maybe risky though.
http://www.kenable.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=3870

Hope it helps.

I'm just trying to work out the best format to convert *.ts files too so they can stream from there to other clients including the hummy.

The western digital My World Book Edition 1TB NAS works well.
I have the 'white light' version and the streaming to the hummy is fine !

I've got a 2tb Buffalo Linkstation Live as it was (at the time) the only one that came back on a search for DLNA certified NAS drives. Does a good job for me, Hummy finds it OK, plays ts files converted over from VOBs perfectly as well as backed up files recorded by the Hummy. I got it from expansys online for £127.99 inc delivery so more expensive than your example in the first post but it is a bigger drive - I think the 1tb version of mine is about the same price as your find.

Back