Alternative Wifi driver

LordLucan

has anyone tried building a rtl8192cu.ko module for the HDR FOX T2 or indeed any USB wireless alternative driver to the "standard" chipset ?

There has been some discussion along these lines, but I don't remember the detail or the outcome. If the native forum search tool doesn't help, try Google: "site:hummy.tv <search terms>".

Around 4 years ago I built the Realtek 8192 driver for an Edimax 7811Un dongle. I could get it to see the Wireless network using the command line tools but I was not able to get the Humax app. to scan the network.

Let me know if you would like to try it.

In as much as the OP hasn't engaged with this as an active discussion, he doesn't seem that interested.

(Being pronounced dead may have something to do with it)

I mentioned this before (see here), but recent versions of firmware for the Australian HDR-7500T (which is quite similar to the HDR-FOX and, I believe, is based upon the same Linux kernel) has support for the newer Humax RT5572 chipset dongle. This is different to the chipset the OP is requesting, but it might provide an easy way of adding support for some additional dongles.

Thank you for the replies. I also managed to build an 8192cu.ko (driver from github rt8192cu.git) that I was able to insmod and was recognised by iwconfig et al, however (with an edimax EW-7612) it caused ifconfig to core dump and my HDR FOX T2 to stop responding to the remote control when I tried to navigate to the wireless settings in the menu.
Just not meant to be I guess.

Thank you for the replies. I also managed to build an 8192cu.ko (driver from github rt8192cu.git) that I was able to insmod and was recognised by iwconfig et al, however (with an edimax EW-7612) it caused ifconfig to core dump and my HDR FOX T2 to stop responding to the remote control when I tried to navigate to the wireless settings in the menu.
Just not meant to be I guess.
What version of custom firmware and kernel are you running? Any wireless driver would need to be compiled with support for IP tables to work with custom firmware. I remember when custom firmware version 3.00 was released: anyone with a WiFi connection had their box lock up and become unusable. I believe that af123 had to modify the driver to get wireless working again.

I'm using :
Custom firmware version: 3.03 (build 2368)
Humax Version: 1.03.12 (kernel HDR_CFW_3.03)
Loader Version: a7.30

So the stock rt3070 driver required modifications to work with custom firmware. Any pointers to the necessary modifications would be much appreciated.

From the wiki it looks like a custom rt3070 package was removed because of incompatibilities and the stock driver is unmodified, or was that a different issue altogether ?
Anyway, I get identical results with the 3.10 firmware, not that I expected otherwise.

More successful with 3.10k.
I can iwlist to scan for networks and iwconfig my essid and key, ifconfig an IP address.
I can ssh in on the wlan0 ip address.

route del/add appears to let me to put the default route through wlan0, but I cant then ping anything not on my LAN.
udhcpc doesnt sucessfully obtain an IP.
Taking down eth0 seems to take out wlan0.
The menu allows me to try to configure wireless, but doesnt succeed.
iwgetid returns nothing, though strace confirms it is seeing the wlan0 interface (as well as eth0).

Do you think it would integrate better if I coded analogous iwpriv ioctls to match the rt3070 ?

I think that's the behaviour with the stock driver too. Even with your working SSH connection into the Humax you will find that the reply packets are coming back to you via eth0, and they will continue to try and do that even if you unplug the cable.
The CFW script /sbin/wifi-up deliberately downs the eth0 interface if there is no link.

Worth remembering that the Humax instructions say that the Ethernet must be disconnected at boot time in order to use wireless.

Back