An alternative to the Humax Aura

grahamlthompson

I have one of these alongside my Aura. Only had it a couple of days. Black Friday deal

In comparison to the Aura - In common with all Android TV devices you cannot upload content to the HDD. It records to a usb 3.0 drive. which it formats as a recording device. I have a 2TB drive attached. It does however have HDMI out to a local TV and remote control

Big difference is it can stream HD recordings in full-HD in to a myriad of mobile devices including laptops (no down conversion is required. The quality is superb on my phone which can pass on the stream to other devices (including) a Xbox one.

It has four tuners.

I had issues on first setting it up, Customer support was brilliant. Within a couple of hours was given a firmware update that worked. Now can stream live TV and recordings on Windows 10 PC and android Phone using the Vbox Live TV app. You can even access these remotely given a decent upload speed.

It has one off and series recordings from the epg and a informative web Console interface accessed via the box IP address.

Not had any chance to play with what apps are available but note Disney+ is in the add apps option.

Early days but looks very promising. Already recorded 4 programmes at once. Not had chance to check if it can do more than 4 from the PSB3 mux.

Last edited:
A few reviews I've found so far
American version so details may differ a bit

Do we know if it uses accurate recording for recordings ?
No netflix
but looking more promising than the Aura and cheaper

Maybe the "DIY PVR Building" section needs expanding to "and Alternatives", or we need a separate "Alternatives to Humax" section. It certainly doesn't feel right in the 'Arms.

Do we know if it uses accurate recording for recordings ?
No netflix
but looking more promising than the Aura and cheaper

I have it set to no padding. So far no issues. Only recording from HD channels

No Netflix. It does have Disney+ and plex and VLC. Disney + appears to be only 5.1. Not an issue I have Disney+ on a 4K firestick which has 4K and Dolby Atmos.

It also has Kodi available

Last edited:
I've found trying to set series record on Peppa Pig on one of the 5 channels is a good test to see how well a unit copes with series link and accurate record, especially when I set same schedule for the HDR to compare.

One point I forgot to mention. It can't read the encoded HD channel epg data. It gets over this by using the epg data from the equivalent SD channel. This works OK except for local news etc.

I will try and grab a few photos of the UI.

I have it set to no padding. So far no issues. Only recording from HD channels

No Netflix. It does have Disney+ and plex and VLC. Disney + appears to be only 5.1. Not an issue I have Disney+ on a 4K firestick which has 4K and Dolby Atmos.

It also has Kodi available
I have taken the plunge and placed an order, pity the headline price doesn't include VAT but luckily they are offering Black Friday discount

Photos of my laptop screen. I need to reduce the transparency - background live TV is too bright

Attachments

• VboxEPG.jpg
    VboxEPG.jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 24
  • VBoxREcordings.jpg
    VBoxREcordings.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 23
One point I forgot to mention. It can't read the encoded HD channel epg data. It gets over this by using the epg data from the equivalent SD channel. This works OK except for local news etc.

I will try and grab a few photos of the UI.
If you are currently testing this box how about give us the login details so we can test the streaming capabilities on the app . I presume the most you'd be risking is some deleted test recordings?

how much did you pay?

DescriptionUnit priceQtyAmount
VBox Android TV Gateway for Aerial/Antenna
Item No 4144_dvb_t_t2
£159.00 GBP1£159.00 GBP
Discount-£39.75 GBP

Subtotal£119.25 GBP
Tax£25.04 GBP
Total£144.29 GBP
Payment£144.29 GBP
I am hoping there are no hidden surprises such as customs duties with it coming from Israel

I have one of these alongside my Aura. Only had it a couple of days. Black Friday deal
What delivery option did you choose and how long it took you to receive the box?

Also

DescriptionUnit priceQtyAmount
VBox Android TV Gateway for Aerial/Antenna
Item No 4144_dvb_t_t2
£159.00 GBP1£159.00 GBP
Discount-£39.75 GBP

Subtotal£119.25 GBP
Tax£25.04 GBP
Total£144.29 GBP
Payment£144.29 GBP
I am hoping there are no hidden surprises such as customs duties with it coming from Israel
I see the same numbers on the website but the currency is euros

I see the same numbers on the website but the currency is euros
Yes you probably could save a bit paying in euros with a zero loading credit card (silly me)
I have tracking number but shipper hasn't picked it up yet, Shows as delivery via Royal Mail 48

Back