Android remote control

Still stuck with the HTTP error popup. Strange, because I had used the original version successfully.
I also have the same issue - can't get it to work at all.
The IP I enter is correct, as I have cut ad paste the IP from this app to various browsers on the android device and they all work - ie the browsers shows the WebIF. This should prove that the IP is correct and on the same network.
No matter what I try, when I press a remote button I get the message
Code:
HTTP error
Unable to connect to Humax probably
because either:
(1) it is not switched on
(2) it is not connected to network
(3) is not running Customized firmware
or
(4) IP address is wrong
Also I have the Humax Fox T2 switched on, it has custom FW and IR package installed.
IR works when access via WebIF using any browser via any device.
I am missing something, but not sure what.

Edit1: Tried on an older android tablet (Android v4.4.2) - it works!, so maybe it is to do with device type or android OS version? (It didn't work on a mobile with Android 10)
Edit2: As mentioned before - it is great that this apps allows you to scroll left/right to the other devices that are set up. How about allowing up to 6 (to match the Humax remote codes)? Also it'll be nice if the keypad screen shows which Humax (eg the hostname and/or IP address) of the device you are controlling! Or allow user to label each keypad screen when setting up the IP for it?

Last edited:
Which is the version that doesn't work ?
I have it working on a 4.4.2 phone and an 8.1 tablet.

Has it worked since September 3rd (when version 2 came out) ?

I can increase the number of devices easily, and also add the IP address to the screen.

My phone has Android 9. The app worked before this month's updates.

My tablet has Android 6.0.1 and is still working with the original version of the app.

Interestingly tablet/original app has username=humax and no password. If I try that with the phone/recent app it still generates the HTTP error popup.

Last edited:
Which is the version that doesn't work ?
I have it working on a 4.4.2 phone and an 8.1 tablet.
I latest app 3.2 working on 4.4.1 tablet but not working on a 10.0 phone
Has it worked since September 3rd (when version 2 came out) ?
I've only retried it in the last week or so. I think the Sept 2020 v3.x ones don't work on a 10.x phone.
I think the older app worked on the phone, but can't retest it as I don't have the older app
I can increase the number of devices easily, and also add the IP address to the screen.
That sounds great

Maybe re-release the older app as appname-classic and keep the newer one as appname-beta? This will allow others to try both apps on the same device and help you test it.

Last edited:
My phone has Android 9. The app worked before this month's updates.

My tablet has Android 6.0.1 and is still working with the original version of the app.

Interestingly tablet/original app has username=humax and no password. If I try that with the phone/recent app it still generates the HTTP error popup.

Now that's odd, because a few weeks ago I found that the old app had STOPPED working with an authentication failure (which was what motivated me to release the new version). I put this down to the fact that the webif had changed its digest password handling.
Are you using the latest webif ?

As your webif has no username/password protection then the username/password you provide should be irrelevant, they are never used. They only get used if the app gets a "401" response from the Hummy.

because either: (1) it is not switched on (2) it is not connected to network (3) is not running Customized firmware or (4) IP address is wrong
Strike the word "either". It's either one thing, or another. Not one of a great list...

Now that's odd, because a few weeks ago I found that the old app had STOPPED working with an authentication failure (which was what motivated me to release the new version). I put this down to the fact that the webif had changed its digest password handling.
Are you using the latest webif ?

Because I have 2 units and the old app only supports 1, it may have been several months since I tried the app last. So that doesn't necessarily disagree with your observation. Although it is strange that I have the old app still working with Android 6.0.1.

I am using the latest webif.

Last edited:
OK. I am going to try to recreate the old app and release it as a test version. It will not be exactly the same as Google insist all new apps
are targeted at Android 10 or above.

This will take a couple of days to organize.

I'm currently waiting (3 days) for Google to "review" the test app.

But meanwhile I think the reason for the failure is that Android 9 and above doesn't like HTTP, but tries to insist on HTTPS.
There is probably a way round this, I'll get back to you later.

I'm currently waiting (3 days) for Google to "review" the test app.

But meanwhile I think the reason for the failure is that Android 9 and above doesn't like HTTP, but tries to insist on HTTPS.
There is probably a way round this, I'll get back to you later.
The webif can be set to use HTTPS under Web Interface Settings on the Settings page - you could make this a prerequisite if you cant find a workaround

The webif can be set to use HTTPS under Web Interface Settings on the Settings page - you could make this a prerequisite if you cant find a workaround
Well I have found a workaround, and a new version of the app is now live.

Can someone with Android 9/10 tell me whether it works now ?

I probably should add an https option at some point though, unencrypted web traffic is rather deprecated now.

Great work.
The new version 3.3 works on both tablet with Android 4.4.1 and mobile with Android 10.
I include 2 screenshots to show its appearance on a 6" screen.
The first is a straight screenshot when first accessing the keypad screen, the second is the keypad screens after scrolling down stitched together.

These are some picky suggestions/possible enhancements:
1) Reduce the range of sizes for the fonts & buttons. The large button fonts are massive when compared to the small button fonts. Eg Maybe abbreviate 'source' to 'srce' to help? The last line text for device and IP is tiny.
2) There is some dead space between the digits. Maybe move the login button icon there? This will free up space so that the top central button may be replaced by device & IP (if doing this, reduce the width of mute and power).
3) As an alternative to 2, use the dead space to show the device and IP.
4) Allow user to select predetermined keypad sizing eg small/medium/large so that the small one tries to fit it all into a single screen and the other 2 will scroll.
5) It works well as it is, they are just my observations.

Attachments

• screenshot1.jpg
    screenshot1.jpg
    293.8 KB · Views: 19
  • screenshot2-scrolled.png
    screenshot2-scrolled.png
    185.6 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Regarding the size of the buttons:

(a) I wanted to use the same layout as on the physical remote. In any case changing it now would be distracting for people who have been using the app for some time.

(b) I didn't want buttons so small that large-fingered people might push the wrong one by accident. The physical remote has an aspect-ratio of about 7:2, far larger than any phone, so squeezing them onto one screen was always going to be a challenge.

(c) There are a very large number of different devices, with different screen sizes and pixel densities, so any design is inevitably a compromise.

(d) I don't want a "settings" screen which is more complicated than the application, so I'm keeping options to a minimum.

Last edited:
My thought are:
  1. Rounded corners on the buttons would improve the look of the app
  2. A slightly smaller Large button text size but with increased padding to maintain the same overall button size would also improve the appearance without making it harder for the fat fingered
  3. You need to be careful when swiping not to accidentally trigger a button push
  4. The button pressed feedback is not very obvious (compared to the bright red on the webif)
  5. Overall I prefer the look and feel of the mobile website so I don't feel this app is giving me any significant advantage

Back