Android Telnet Software - Recommendations

Tell

Now I'm using bootHDRmode and reboot on the BootHDR package thanks to MontysEvilTwin pointing me in that direction to get the new BBCiPlayer on the HD T2 is there a good Telnet Android package that can store these strings as say function keys so you don't have to keep typing them in ?. At my age and being dyslexic as well rembering whether the exact syntax of bootHDRmode and case is tricky without looking it up.

I've settled for Telnet Client X-Value Technologies free on the Google Play store. It does remember where you have been as long as you remember the first two characters of the command. Anything better for the Android ?.

I like Simple Telnet Client, you can easily paste into it from another source, but I don't know if it will store strings as commands. I just use Web-If. Cut the folder 'Trigger-HDRMode' from /drive1/*Modsettings ('OPT+' then 'cut to clipboard') and paste to the root (/drive1): job done. You can also do this from the HD-FOX itself with the remote control.

You ccould create an alias for the command on the HD itself e.g add the following to /mod/etc/ashrc:
Code:
alias bh='bootHDRmode'
The alias will become active at the next boot.

Thanks MontysEvilTwin and xyz321.

Whilst I was using Monty's method both on a PC and Nexus 7 tablet - the latter via ES File Explorer getting the reboot clean e.g. undoing was the tricky bit. Pressing the remote to off doesn't work and unplugging the box was the solution which isn't ideal. The reboot via Telnet does actually cause it to reboot knocking out the drive light.

Think I'll look at alias... I think I'll be able to remember do and undo or something like that :). I'll give it a go tomorrow.

The 'Trigger-HDRMode' folder will boot the box into HDR mode (immediately freezing the front panel display) if you move it to the root folder (drive1) using Web-If, or indeed using the remote control through the HD's own menus: I've not tried this using a file explorer program. Sometimes it will crash (and boot back into normal HD-Fox mode) or become unresponsive to the remote and get stuck in a semi-awake standby. If the latter happens, often it can be rebooted using the reboot option in Web-If >diagnostics. Failing this there is a little button behind the fold-down front panel, which will always reboot the HD when pressed: unplugging it is not necessary.

This is the problem the latter is unreliable but the telnet reboot always works.... must go looking for the little button. Must have forgotten about the front panel flap. Oh that little button. Dont think the HDR has one which is why I resort to powering off.

You ccould create an alias for the command on the HD itself e.g add the following to /mod/etc/ashrc:
Code:
alias bh='bootHDRmode'
The alias will become active at the next boot.
Does that work? Often you're actually running under /bin/[a]sh rather than /mod/bin/[a]sh.
Putting that line in a file within /mod/etc/profile/ will definitely work however.

OK well I can't see the directories /bin/[a]sh or /mod/bin/[a]sh or /mod/etc/ashrc

However if I do put the line into a file in /mod/etc/profile/ that does work as you say. Although it stopped working again...

Hey ho but the good news is that the Android software that I mentioned does record you last string if you type the first character, so just got to remember to type b for bootHDRmode and r for reboot.

Good to see all those scripts. The telnet software reboot seems pretty clean and reliable.

WebIf will give you the reboot but on an Android you still got to navigate around to it on WebIf, whilst the cut and paste to get the bootHDRmode is a bit primative. Telnet does give it all in one place if the text is a bit long but memory of past commands is useful.... especially if you forget names which I do.

Does that work? Often you're actually running under /bin/[a]sh rather than /mod/bin/[a]sh.
Putting that line in a file within /mod/etc/profile/ will definitely work however.

I think I might have been using a reserved word in the alias 'do', 'doo' seems to work when do didn't.

Thats:

alias doo='bootHDRmode'

May be it's just started work.

I do note on the HD 1.03.11 EPG scroll runs slower than on the HDR.

Back