Another computer question...

Speaking of Dropbox/Google Drive, an interesting alternative crossed my desk this week: Internxt.com.

The Europe-based Spanish company Internxt offers zero knowledge and an end-to-end encrypted cloud storage service. Unlike Google Drive, it also has a desktop app for Linux. Internxt's source code is available on GitHub under the open source AGPL license.

You can start with 10 GB of free storage, and if you like it, you can opt for their lifetime, single-payment plan. With the ITSFOSS80 coupon code, you get 80% off. Internxt also has a 30-day money-back guarantee.

The highlights are that you get 2GB free, which is pretty easy to expand to 5GB, and another 1GB available for each referral sign-up (up to 5GB) – that makes the 10GB quoted above. And hosted in Spain, they're subject to EU privacy laws.

Referral links have to be sent by email, so if you're going to set up a free (or even paid for) account please PM me the email address you are going to link the account to so I get my bonus 🙏 :thumbsup:.

Paid plans are also interesting. Regardless of the coupon code (I don't know when it expires) they have a 75% offer expiring 20th May (I think). I'm not into vast amounts of on-line storage (my connection is too slow), but currently

200GB: €︎11.50/year
2TB: €︎27.50/year
5TB: €︎50.00/year

Figure on those prices quadrupling. Monthly billing also available, as are single-payment lifetime plans:

2TB: €︎199 (€︎499)
5TB: €︎299 (€︎999)
10TB: €︎499 (€︎1999)

I mean, if you have the wherewithal, 10TB secure storage for less than £500? There is a risk that Internxt folds of course, but...

Account recovery is by use of one-time codes, which you must download from your account and store safely yourself for use in emergency (I've come across this before, my web hosting does that). I do wonder why that's better than keeping a note of your password in a secure independent location...

5TB: €︎50.00/year
We have MS OneDrive (family) which gives us (sort of) 6TB for £80/year plus use of Office 365, etc, so I'm not sure that price is particularly good.
I know people hate MS, but they probably won't go bust soon and they are, it seems, permanently in the sights of EU regulators, so I'm not too bothered about privacy, etc.

How did you manage to edit 423 years ago? Before computers, before Epoch time, and before you. Crazy!
I've moaned to DB support who are apparently there 24/7 and likely to respond in 1 hour, if you believe what they say (I don't).
Of course their web form only does text, making it impossible to attach an image (how primitive), so I had to dump the image on... Dropbox and send them a link (having had to edit the permissions, and copy said link to a different device where I had to test it actually worked - what a faff)!
Let's see what happens.

We have MS OneDrive (family) which gives us (sort of) 6TB for £80/year plus use of Office 365, etc, so I'm not sure that price is particularly good.
I've got my free Internxt up to 4GB so far (not sure how), and I use Apache Open Office so I don't give a stuff about Office 365...

To be fair, however much they claim to be compatible with M$Office documents, compatibility is only skin deep and trying to interoperate between ODF and DOCX is tricky at best. If you need to work in DOC/DOCX/XLS(etc) then you're best off sticking with M$Office. If, on the other hand, you're essentially independent or have modest ambitions, ODT/ODS(etc) is plenty capable.

Compatibility issues arise when the means to express a layout concept in ODF is not directly translatable to DOC (or vice versa). Case in point: DOC has section formatting, so that you can (to all intents and purposes) define each section of a document to be set up completely independent of the other sections (eg landscape instead of portrait). ODF instead has page layouts and rules for how different page styles flow on from each other. These concepts are mutually incompatible, so trying to read a DOC with complex sectioning using a translation layer in an ODF WP is going to be an approximation at best, and saving it to DOC after an edit will really annoy the originator!

If you want to view a MS DOC/DOCX/(etc) but don't have M$Office installed, use a MS viewer not Libre/Open/whatever.

A few years back I had compatibility problems MS to MS. I wrote a conference paper in Word, formatted to the proceedings format. Sent the document and a pdf showing the format. It still managed to get screwed up in the publishing. I gave them some grief during the presentation.

Does anyone? Open Office, Libre Office and Collabora Office are free and can handle most documents - so why pay Microsoft for the privilege?
We don't actually use the Office stuff, but it's there if needed.
Over the years we've had Dropbox but need better for cloud backup. Had Sugar Sync for some years but that didn't really fit what we needed and eventually became unreliable as well. Google Drive just seems impenetrable to me. Onedrive costs about the same as SS did and does everything we need.
This is for our disaster backup, so I don't feel it's worth cheaping out over.

I've got my free Internxt up to 4GB so far
:eek::sleep::roflmao:
Just got an email from Internxt: they're downgrading the free accounts to a max of 1GB to be more sustainable ongoing (apparently)! I guess they decided they've been too generous, and the take-up of paid plans isn't what they expected.

I use TSOHost as my Hosting company. I ended up with them after a few buyouts. I have been paying 24.48 pnds per annum on their legacy package for six years without any increase.
They are now moving me to their 'Deluxe' package at a price of 71.88 pnds per annum.
I think I have gotten away with a good price for a while - does this new price seem reasonable in today's world ?

I will be on their Deluxe package but at the Economy price. Economy gives me:
1Website
Free domain name
25GBSSD Storage
UnlimitedFlatrate included
1Mailbox
512MB Memory
Freefirst year Standard SSL
Daily Backups

Deluxe would give me:
10Websites
Free domain name
50GBSSD Storage
UnlimitedFlatrate included
2Mailboxes
1GB Memory
FreeSSL certificates
Daily Backups

Not sure of the free domain name as I have been paying for my domain name separately. Have questioned them as to whether this is now included (fingers crossed).
The Economy package suits my needs but if the Deluxe is offered for the same price then great. I mainly use it for emails and there seems to be an unlimited number of aliases. I also have two mailboxes so I assume that, at the moment, that is okay.

I use TSOHost as my Hosting company. I ended up with them after a few buyouts. I have been paying 24.48 pnds per annum on their legacy package for six years without any increase.
They are now moving me to their 'Deluxe' package at a price of 71.88 pnds per annum.
I think I have gotten away with a good price for a while - does this new price seem reasonable in today's world ?
I moved away from TSOHost some years ago because the quality of support deteriorated markedly when the original owners sold out. I am now with Krystal and the support and reliability is good but the cheapest package (for one site only) is now £70 and the next package up is £110 for 5 sites (paying annually, you can pay bi-annually and get slightly lower prices).

Thanks @MartinLiddle
Sounds like I might be okay then - I think the threefold increase was a bit of a shock. I have found their support pretty responsive so am okay with that.
The move is happening within the next 7 days so, once completed, I will double check on what I am getting for the money.

I host a couple of websites for a lot less than that money, but I'm not using that much resources.

There seem to be two different forms of GB-itery being discussed here. I'm getting a bit confused, but maybe it's just me.
There's hosting stuff for websites, domains, email, etc (for which I use Ionos (used to be 1&1)) and then there are back up and sync services, like Dropbox, Google drive, One drive, etc. As far as I'm aware the former don't usually provide sync services and the latter don't provide hosting or email. (But maybe someone does.)

Hosting a website is only a case of having FTP access to some online storage, and running web server software to handle incoming http requests. You can store whatever you like in your allocation.

Hosting a website is only a case of having FTP access to some online storage, and running web server software to handle incoming http requests. You can store whatever you like in your allocation.
Yes, that's easy, ish.
But near the top of this page you said
Speaking of Dropbox/Google Drive, an interesting alternative crossed my desk this week: Internxt.com.
which is a very different ballgame and we now seem to be talking as if they are the same in that people are saying "I get xGB" without saying what it is xGB of.

In#231 you are talking about your internxt thing and in the next one peterworks is talking about his hosting package :confused:
Some clarity would be nice.

Back