Another retune required

silverback

I've just had a prompt from Film4 saying it's moved and I have to retune. (I've already retuned once to move it from channel 15 - it's now on 791 - and it seems it's on the move again.)
The custom firmware site says it 'automatically saves recording schedule and restores it after a retune."
As a newbie, is that a part of the basic CF or do I have to download a package to obtain this facility?

Sorry if that's a dumb question.
Silverback

EDIT : OK - it was a dumb question. Found the necessary link at the bottom of the Schedule listing.

Wow! First time I have had to retune since I loaded CF and what a saving it's made. Save, then restore, recording schedule. As simple as that. Wonderful!
Many, many thanks to the person/people who designed and implemented this package. (indeed, everything about CF is pretty amazing, so thanks to all CF contributors. Very clever people who are generous in spirit.)
Silverback

Saving/restoring the schedule and auto deleting the junk channels makes re-tuning much easier.

The only thing I remember having to do manually was re-ordering channels (I have the HD channels on 1-4).
Would it be possible to save/restore these settings too?

The only thing I remember having to do manually was re-ordering channels (I have the HD channels on 1-4).
Would it be possible to save/restore these settings too?

Already does it. This stuff is amazing :)
IIRC it needs a reboot or two, but I'm not sure now of the order, so maybe someone else can point to the correct way. I think it's something like: Check in CF you have a recent/current schedule backup - Retune - then Reboot at which point auto-junk-channel and Renumber operate - check you've got your channels as you wanted - go into CF and restore the recording schedule from backup.

Well, the post above was really asking for trouble I suppose. :eek:
I did a full, manual, retune today to accommodate the Film4 change and while the Channeldel seems to have worked the Renumbering didn't (except it seems to swap 2 channels). So then I had to manually re-renumber everything and of course I couldn't remember it all exactly.

Now the multimode is broken, possibly because of a numbering mismatch. It just has the left hand box with 4 'correct' lines and the fifth ends "Runtime Error: save.jim:14: expected number but got "undefined" at file "save.jim", line 14". Gaagh!

Anyway, I had a feeling this happened to me before and I managed to find the thread with the solution (which was run the mmreset in Diagnostics) and that seems to have fixed it. Just need to reenter the mm channels again.

But has anyboby an idea why Renumber didn't work?

I've had the same problem with renumber after a retune.

My assumption was that some of the renumbers can't work because there is already a channel on that number so the order of renumbering is key.

E.g.
Ren 1 to 8
Ren 2 to 1
Works because 8 is free and after the first ren 1 is free for 2 to move into

Ren 2 to 1
Ren 1 to 8
Would result in only the last renumber working as 2 can't move to 1 until it is free

I've renumbered everything to the 100 range to get around this so order does not matter as 100-200 are not occupied after a retune.

Above is only a theory I've not checked that it is correct.

It used to be the case that the HiDef channels were not numbered conveniently, so renumber was useful - but now the HiDefs are 101-104, does it matter?

Incidentally, and I realise this is very much personal preference, but I stick to the StDef channels except for "specials" because of the lower bandwidth/storage space commitment.

I still use it to bring the more used channels to lower numbers ang group them more logically (movie mix and film4 together)

I've just had a prompt from Film4 saying it's moved and I have to retune. (I've already retuned once to move it from channel 15 - it's now on 791 - and it seems it's on the move again.)

Funny, but for some time my equipment has been tuning in Film4 at those two channels. There is a warning on 791 saying that if you see this warning you need to retune. OTOH, there is no warning on 15.

Film4+1 is on its way on Freeview, at last.

It used to be the case that the HiDef channels were not numbered conveniently, so renumber was useful - but now the HiDefs are 101-104, does it matter?

I don't call 100+ convenient; it's at the very bottom of the listing. I use renumber to virtually swap them with the SDs, as well as putting the other channels in a more useful order, so (eg.) the +1s are immediately below the corresponding main channel.

I've had the same problem with renumber after a retune.

My assumption was that some of the renumbers can't work because there is already a channel on that number so the order of renumbering is key.

I don't think that's the case. Renumber worked great at the last retune I did (no Channeldel), and it was basically the same this time. The only things I know were different this time were a few more channels, the changes for Film4, and I have now got Channeldel in use.

My theory is that Channeldel and Renumber both tried to make changes at the same time, clashed, and Renumber lost.

I don't think that's the case. Renumber worked great at the last retune I did (no Channeldel), and it was basically the same this time. The only things I know were different this time were a few more channels, the changes for Film4, and I have now got Channeldel in use.

My theory is that Channeldel and Renumber both tried to make changes at the same time, clashed, and Renumber lost.

I have Channeldel installed as well so a conflict could be my issue as well

I had problems with Renumber initially, but they got sorted and it's been OK since, including retunes after having installed Channeldel. Maybe it's all down to which particular channels you have configured to renumber/delete and which are affected by the retune. I just renumber the four HD channels to swap them with their SD counterparts (a more straightforward swap since BBC HD became BBC2 HD!). Personally the higher storage requirements aren't an issue for me because I mostly manage to keep up with watching what I've recorded (except for Dallas and Ice Road Truckers, but they're both SD anyway!), I would rather have the superior picture quality of HD where it's available.

Back