Another wifi question - dongle did work, now doesn't!

Blandiblub

Hi all, noob, etc....

Anyway, my parents have the 1000S box and use it as a kind of 'secondary' machine in their dining room, so it's not the main TV viewing service. Anyway, it's a fair distance from their router, etc so I suggested a wifi dongle (I know about homeplugs and use them myself but figured the dongle was sufficient for them).

Anyway, bought the Edimax EW7711-USN and made sure I got the first iteration of it. That was in January of this year. It worked in their Freesat box fine so kudos obtained, etc. I believe it's a Ralink 2870 chipset (but don't quote me on that).

Now, recently, I had a completely unrelated wifi issue at my house and to help diagnose it, borrowed the dongle. I even checked it still worked on their Humax box before I detached it (it did, used BBC iPlayer without issue).

I borrrowed to use with my laptop - it worked fine with my home wifi. Anyway, problem solved so I returned it to my parents. When I connected it back up to the Humax box, it no longer works! When I try to connect wirelessly in the Humax settings, it just says 'network adapter disconnected' (words to that effect). The green light is on the Edimax adapter and this happens both in the rear USB socket or the front one.

I don't even get as far as selecting a wifi service.

I've been through the experience of having the wrong chipset, etc. but as I say, this one worked absolutely fine before I borrowed it. Is there any possibility that me using it in a laptop has changed it in some fashion?? It's the only thing I can think of. Very odd.

I really don't mind that some dongles work and some don't but why on earth would it work one day but not the next? Possibly a Humax firmware update that's caused the issue? Dunno.

Any ideas people? Cheers.

A very recent software update for Freetime boxes has created the issue (OTA 15th June). If the sole problem is the WiFi adaptor your parents are lucky.

Frequent shutdowns and re-boots are being experienced by many (causing recording failures). The OTA update has been pulled and Humax/Freesat are urgently looking at resolving the issue.

Have a look at the threads at MyHumax.

Last edited:
Ah, great stuff, thanks. Have now read the big thread over there.

I was pulling my hair out on this, doubting my diagnosis skills! In a way, glad to hear it's a firmware issue which, hopefully, they sort soon enough.

How incredibly annoying though. Me and the missus switched from humax freesat to humax youview/freeview some time ago. Glad we did now!

Ha! True, yes.

(mind you, I'm finding I'm using my YouView box less and less these days, mainly using Netflix or catching up on TV on the train to work with my tablet. That TV licence is becoming less relevant in our household...).

We returned from holiday to find Humax broadband connection was dead.
Checked my edimax dongle was fine by testing on a laptop
Strung a 30m cat5 cable to link humax to router directly - that was fine.
Went on line and discovered the 2.02.34 software had been released.
It would have installed automatically without us noticing while were away.
Discovered references to it impacting third party dongles.
Emailed Humax support who confirmed the same but assured me that branded Humax dongles were not affected.
Is this a 'bug' or a 'feature' I wonder.
Considered reverting to earlier version of software but caved in and ordered a new dongle from Amazon for £20

Unless Humax specifically stated that this PVR would only support their own dongle when the product was released then they should be taken to task over their failure to support backward compatability with generic dongles.

New software release 2.02.46 (currently download only), restores edimax dongle compatibility. See MyHumax for links to download. It also fixes some boxes experiencing reboots and restores the tiny sby icons on the display (Of course the new 1100S having no display does not have any icons).

Back