Any limits on Music & Photos?

TimK2015

Since the demise of my Windows 7 box that I used as a media server for my Roberts Stream internet radio I have been trying out the media server on one of my HDR Fox T2s.

I have a couple of questions:

1. How often does the DLNA server run to index the contents of the disk?

2. Are there any limits to number of files or capacity for the My Music folder?

How often does the DLNA server run to index the contents of the disk?
I don't think we know. I'm not certain, but I suspect it is part of the shutdown process (but that's not the only time). For sure, we have no control over it.

Are there any limits to number of files or capacity for the My Music folder?
Do you have any reason to suspect there is a limit?

Do you have any reason to suspect there is a limit?
Only that the HDR Foxsat seems to have a separate Music/Photo partition so there would be a capacity limit but as the Fox T2 Music & Photos are folders under /media then it shouldn't have any limits.

Last edited:
The music and photo play/display capability of the HDR-FOX is so limited I see no point in using them, but it might be a different matter for DLNA streaming (if the DLNA server indexes music at all). You might need to use Mediatomb instead of the built-in server. I think you're treading new ground - let us know how you get on.

(As an aside: I don't know anything about the DLNA capabilities of the Humaxes under question. There may be limitations to what the client software shows. On other Humaxes I have noticed some software doesn't display all the data indexed by the Humax. It only displays the first response from the Humax. I found this out because I wrote a client program so that I could stream and save programmes. Not all files were showing - something I later corrected. Some more professionally produced software did the same. Other software showed the full contents. Always worth checking other client software if everything isn't listed.)

The music and photo play/display capability of the HDR-FOX is so limited I see no point in using them, but it might be a different matter for DLNA streaming (if the DLNA server indexes music at all). You might need to use Mediatomb instead of the built-in server. I think you're treading new ground - let us know how you get on.
The built-in media server does work with my Roberts Stream 217 quite well with MP3 files (recorded by another Fox T2 and also M4A files downloaded from BBC Sounds and converted to MP3 using Audacity). I have tried with my Stream 202 but that is not clever enough to sort the files in the right order - I think it just reads the directory as is. Also I split the recordings into 5 minute chunks to make it easier to go back and forth when I nod off listening to a story/drama or whatever. I did try playing back some other 30+ minute programs whole but the Stream 217 gets stuck at 'loading' (this also occurs when reading USB sticks so I think it is a failing of the 217 rather than the media server). The Stream 202 used to read and play the longer programs and sort file order properly without a hitch when it was reading from the Windows 7 shared folders so the media server must present the list differently. Overall I think media server serves my purpose and any problems are down to the media player on the Stream radios.

(As an aside: I don't know anything about the DLNA capabilities of the Humaxes under question. There may be limitations to what the client software shows. On other Humaxes I have noticed some software doesn't display all the data indexed by the Humax. It only displays the first response from the Humax. I found this out because I wrote a client program so that I could stream and save programmes. Not all files were showing - something I later corrected. Some more professionally produced software did the same. Other software showed the full contents. Always worth checking other client software if everything isn't listed.)
I did also try the media server on an HDR-1800T and that works too. My problem with that box is that I have to switch off the firewall to be able to FTP files to it from my Linux Mint boxes.

My problem with that box is that I have to switch off the firewall to be able to FTP files to it from my Linux Mint boxes.
The firewall on which box? If you mean the Mint one then I had to add a firewall rule to make FTP work on mine.

The firewall on which box? If you mean the Mint one then I had to add a firewall rule to make FTP work on mine.
On Linux Mint 20.3 with Cinnamon or Mate with the firewall switched on I can FTP to/from my Fox T2s but not Foxsats or HDR1800/2000Ts.

Back