Any one else disappointed with the picture?

gazzer

Ive had my HDR-2000t for a couple of days now and I'm wondering whether this is the best the picture can do or if I've got a duffer.

I used to have a Sammy STB which had a very good pic on HD and although not great on SD was just about acceptable. However, the system was just too flaky to live with so it had to go.

The TV I have is not "top of the range" but new and very well regarded.

The Hummy was just plugged in where the sammy was without any changes to the TV settings but the picture was approaching unwatchable in dark scenes. Ive changed the settings around but its still not what I'd call "good". I have the motion filter on the highest settings but just a simple pan of the camera or wave of a hand leaves the image smeared over the screen. The Mpeg filter is also right up but the picture is grainier than a bag of rice.

The retailer I bought it from has an excellent returns policy, so is it worth exchanging the box or is this the best I can expect?

There's no reason to believe the output of a 2000T is any different from a HDR-FOX, and that's fine. You have not mentioned HDMI, but I presume that's how it is connected. If you have used SCART or RCA you are in analogue territory and in the lap of the gods.

The broadcast system is digital in, digital out. What comes through the aerial as a HiDef DVB-T2 transmission is demodulated and sent out of the HDMI port with very few differences which I will explain. The action of recording the programme and playing it back makes no difference.

Colour is a 24-bit value per pixel which is the HDMI data stream. There are no adjustments in the HDR-FOX.

The only processing the HDR-FOX does is upscaling whatever the broadcast stream contains to whatever you have the Humax output set to. The TV then also up (or down) scales the HDMI input to the required screen resolution. What you need to do is decide which has the better scaler unit - either set the Humax to output the same as the incoming broadcast and leave it to the TV, or set the Humax output to the same as the TV resolution (probably 1080p) and rely on the Humax scaler.

Other receivers apply artificial sharpening, the HDR-FOX (and by extension the 2000T) does not.

I suggest you put all the TV settings to "normal" and see what that get you.

Thanks for the quick reply. As there is no processing done its either my eyes or the TV settings then.

I'l have a fiddle about and see if I can improve things.

You mentioned an MPEG filter. I take it this is a setting on your tv? This will probably make the picture worse.
As BH said, if you connect over hdmi, and the resolution setting is ok, then there shouldn't be a problem

Thanks for the replies guys.

Ive actually managed to drag a decent picture out of the hummax with a little fiddling, maybe even better than I was getting with the Samsung.

Ive turned everything off other than the mpeg filter which is on its lowest setting. Ive dropped the contrast and upped the brightness.

A Samsung engineer originally set the tv up when he came to look at the old STB so I was loathed to mess with the settings myself.

The big test will be the next time I record and watch Pan's Labyrinth from the late night film four signal. On the samsung it was mainly a black screen with the occasional bright smear.

Ive used PVRs for the last six years and rarely watch live TV, and so far Ive been much happier with the Hummax than the Samsung. Now the picture seems to be coming together I expect I will be very happy.

Ok, I take it all back. After some fiddling Ive got an excellent picture :)

on to the next question...

All I can say it we bought a HDR 2000T to go with our Panasonic 21 in in the back room (our secondary set up).At the time of buying the Panasonic I asked the salesman if the display TV was showing HD or not.He replied it wasn,t and at that screen size HD would not be noticeable.But since installing theHDR 2000T and viewing in HD we are noticing wrinkles on faces that were never seen before!
So nothing wrong with the picture ,and as I have mentioned in a previous thread my only minor concern is the very low signal strength reading of 30% compared to all our other equipment which shows 50% or more.

You can't compare what signal level is regarded as "100%" on each item of equipment. What matters is whether you have 100% quality.

There is a bit of "mine's better than yours" going on here: the items saying "50%" might be doing so to appear they are more sensitive than other items. The question is at what percentage do they lose quality.

Yes quality is 100%,so i guess there is no problem there.You just think being from the same Humax family as the Fox T2 HDR that I have in the other room,the signal strength would be similar.
Anyway thanks for reply I shall worry no more.

Back