Any reccomendations for 2TB external drives?

catnap

I have read the section on external drives in "Things Every HD-FOX T2/HDR-FOX T2 Owner Should Know" and am aware of the potential problems and uncertainties associated with external USB3./with USB 2.0 fall-back, drives without their own power supplies.

Nevertheless, can anyone recommend such a drive following direct recent experience with one and the HDR-FOX T2?

As an aside and slight complication my preference would be to format the drive (on a Mac) as NTFS, which would also mean using CF.

As my signature says, I have a Toshiba Stor.e Canvio USB 3.0 2TB portable hard drive (NTFS & USB powered).
eBuyer had a really good deal on it late last year (about £63).
I have been using it for several months, permanently attached to my HDR via the cable supplied with the drive (USB A plug to USB3 microB plug), which handles all the data and power.

I only have a 500M internal drive, so I backup programmes to it as needed.
I can play programmes from it without any problems.
The drive spends most of its time asleep, only waking when the HDR is powered-up and when accessed (wake-up causes a delay of about 10 seconds, which doesn't seem to cause the HDR any problems).

Thanks for checking and confirming. I'll wait to see if others are suggested, but may well try this one. From what I've read the fact that it works with your HDR T2 doesn't guarantee that it will with mine, but your experience is still an excellent indicator (and much more informative than my other research so far). Plus, I have never had difficulty returning items to Amazon themselves if they don't perform as stated and the entry reads "compatible with—USB 2.0 technology".

Things Every... section 12 is deliberately careful not to create undue expectations, but in the process it appears pessimistic. In fact you probably won't have a problem.

Things Every... section 12 is deliberately careful not to create undue expectations, but in the process it appears pessimistic. In fact you probably won't have a problem.

I am fairly optimistic about being able to use the drive hairy-mutley mentions but I think your point about undue expectations is valid. I have had personal experience of USB 3.0 drives that might, according to specification, be expected to work with various devices (including the Hummy) but will with some and not with others.

As my signature says, I have a Toshiba Stor.e Canvio USB 3.0 2TB portable hard drive (NTFS & USB powered).

thanks. What filesystem are you using for it? I thought that the Humax won't write NTFS...?

I was going to put exfat on it, as I want the Mac to be able to read it (so no ext3) and I don't want the file size restriction of FAT32.

thanks...

Looks like I was mistaken about the Humax not writing NTFS.

And I also see that MacOS can handle it natively, although not without some hacking?

So am wondering whether NTFS, or exfat, is the better choice, for e.g. 2TB external USB?

This is a Linux/Mac house, with no Windows at all, if that makes a difference?

apols if this is veering OT - I could create a new thread?

Looks like I was mistaken about the Humax not writing NTFS.

And I also see that MacOS can handle it natively, although not without some hacking?

So am wondering whether NTFS, or exfat, is the better choice, for e.g. 2TB external USB?

This is a Linux/Mac house, with no Windows at all, if that makes a difference?

apols if this is veering OT - I could create a new thread?

As standard the HDR FOX T2 can only read NTFS. The Custom firmware adds write capability. I doubt Exfat will work at all.

Back