any way of remotely triggering playback from webif?

This may well be a silly question, but I can't find any way of triggering playback of recordings from the webif (there may not be one).
The problem I'm trying to solve is this - if I'm sat at my desk in the study and the kids come in and ask if they can watch another episode of.......

The HDR has a limited playlist option. It will only work within a given series folder. Go to the folder with the recordings and use the red button on the remote and select multiple files. Then press the o.k. button and the option 'play from start'. Note that the resume option is greyed out. This will then play the selected recordings and automatically play the next recording when the previous one finishes.

Unfortunately it is a manual process and restricted to recordings within one folder.

I've got live TV streaming working using Oatcake's method .....
If you start a recording on the channel you are viewing, the hmt file is deleted from the Tsr folder, and is recreated when it completes. I don't know what happens if you are viewing the live stream by DLNA when the hmt file is deleted but I have made some changes.

The time shift buffer is also deleted if a recording is played or multiple queued recordings played as in the previous post.

@MontysEvilTwin (using the streaming method quoted in that thread) if you select multiple recordings in a folder and press OK ....then...play from start , then access the folder, do you get a live TV stream or are the queued recordings played?

Could the time shift buffer be involved with intrafolder playlists? If it was maybe it could be expanded to create multi folder playlists.

....... Then press the o.k. button and the option 'play from start'. Note that the resume option is greyed out. This will then play the selected recordings and automatically play the next recording when the previous one...

If the first recording of the selected playlist is relatively new then the 'play from start' option starts the playlist from a resumed place in the first recording, however if the playlist recordings are older (first recording dlnla indexed ???) The first recording plays from the beginning.

I don't understand where the above is going (relevant to this topic).

It seems very unlikely to me that any form of playback involves the TSR buffer, and even if it did what help would that be?

The HDR has a limited playlist option. It will only work within a given series folder. Go to the folder with the recordings and use the red button on the remote and select multiple files. Then press the o.k. button and the option 'play from start'.

I used the remote control to play 2 files from a folder back to back. Before the second file played I moved it to another folder (using webif).

When the first file finished the 'playlist' stopped, as the second file wasn't in the folder any more. The surprising thing was that after the first file stopped there was a new (abeit it very small) file now in the folder which related to the second recording in the playlist.

Using webif moving the 2nd recording back into this folder ... It was not playable.

The extra file and its size is visible with for example ES explorer but not visible on webif or on the HDR!

Sorry if I am straying from the op, but it was the only playlist thread I found in search.

Moving stuff around independent of the SUI while things are happening is bound to lead to odd results - this is well outside the normal operating parameters for the Humax code.

Going back to the original question... short of human looking at output of a web cam pointed at the TV screen, transmission of the TV outputs from AV, RF or HDMI outputs to computer screen used along side the virtual remote control to see the TV interface remotely for feedback presumably there is no way then of knowing what is on the screen, i.e. guide, which entry in "media" etc.

I had similar uses and had AV outputs into computer aswell as HDMI into TV so could see what I was controlling.

OK so would it be possible to;
Add a "play" button to the webif/media list each media item (like opt+)
For that "play" button to invoke the webif/remote a sequence of button presses worked out to enter the SUI media list, navigate to the chosen item, and select play-from start.
Or do the menus dynamically change too much for that to be reliable?

The menus are not really involved as such, you only need to use a Media button input to get to navigating the media contents, but it would be pretty difficult trying to select a particular recording "blind" - I'm not sure the CF can work out whether the HDR is listing the recordings in date or alphabetical order, for example.

Have you played with macros in the virtual remote? See if you can create one to play a particular recording (any recording) reliably, and you will get an idea how difficult it will be.

I suspect that you need to run the sidecar utility at it to recreate the sidecar files.

Yes it does seem to be the sidecars. It was easier to follow this using a folder with only two recordings.

At the start there were 8 files in the folder (6 side cars and 2 TS). (Correct me if wrong) . I used the remote select all > o.k.> play from start..> o.k.

While the first recording was playing, using webif I moved the second recording and then there were only 4 files left in the folder. When the first recording finished there was 5 files in the folder and the new file was a sidecar (reduced size) from the second recording. I.e. the folder now had one TS file and its three sidecars plus a new sidecar (orphan) relating to the moved file.

The link of the chain was broken by moving the second recording,so when the first recording stooped a new sidecar was created for the next file in the 'list'.

(After moving the original recording back it still didn't work even using the sidecar utility,which by the way was great for restoring 0.TS recordings !!)

Could the chain of a playlist work by passing on the list from the sidecars of the first recording to those of the next, and if so could this 'hook' be used by webif process ?

You did not say whether the orphaned sidecar so created by the humaxtv process was an hmt or an nts, although I strongly suspect it was an hmt (which would in all probability, have been invalid). When moving the original back, again you did not say if that was the ts only you moved back, or all of them. It it was all of them it would have overwritten the orphan and should have played OK, so I suspect it was just the ts. Creating a new nts only with sidecar would again result in no playback because of the invalid hmt. If you had checked the box in sidecar to replace the hmt as well, it would then have played OK.
Don't know what you mean about this chain of a playlist 'hook' ?

Last edited:
I checked this again. The new sidecar was a hmt 2.02kb. I used webif to move the original back but the 2.02kb hmt remained. The recording was not visible using the remote... There was only one recording in the folder despite the fact that using the remote the HDR showed two files in that folder.

Using sidecars utility made the second recording visible.

I checked this again. The new sidecar was a hmt 2.02kb. I used webif to move the original back but the 2.02kb hmt remained. The recording was not visible using the remote... There was only one recording in the folder despite the fact that using the remote the HDR showed two files in that folder.

Using sidecars utility made the second recording visible.
Orphaned .hmt sidecar files are normal if you rename, move or delete a recording whilst the Humax still has it in use - it periodically updates the hmt during both recording and playback and doesn't realise the recording has moved so carries on writing to the hmt in the original location.

The orphaned hmt can be safely deleted, a full hmt was copied with the move of the original recording - af123 has just fixed a bug that made it difficult to delete the orphan via the webif.

Back