Anyone know what this icon means?

BucksLad

As the hard drive on my HDR-FOX T2 is filling up faster that I can watch things at present, I finally got round to attaching a USB hard drive so that I could free up space on the internal drive. I got the T2 to format the drive before copying any stuff across and then copied a couple of folders containing a mixture of SD and HD recordings. The copy seems to have worked OK (albeit rather slowly) but I noticed that a new icon appeared in the media list at the side of the HD programmes copied across. The icon looks like a shiny DVD with a small red 'x' on the upper left-hand side. Can anyone please enlighten me as to what this means? I've looked in the various lists of icons and so far drawn a blank. The icon only appears by the side of HD recordings (i.e. not SD) and, where a recording has been copied but not deleted from the internal hard drive, it appears on the media list for both internal and USB drives.

Thanks in anticipation.

It's a copy protection icon; it means that you can't copy the file again.
I have never seen it appear on a HDR Fox-T2 though.

Thanks for the quick response. For the record, the box is running firmware version 1.02.32 with custom firmware version 2.19.

Anyone else seen this icon?

USB copy operations are faster if the content is decrypted first, although that would only speed up the StDef copies because the HiDef are being tansferred as is.

I guess most of us on this forum would not see that icon because we habitually either unprotect our HiDef recordings (so they would decrypt as they copied, same as StDef) or go the whole hog and decrypt everything automatically as a matter of course. For info see Things Every... (click) section 5. If this feature is something new in more recent firmwares, perhaps a few experiments are needed.

I have removed the custom Firmware auto-unprotect package, recorded a Hi-Def. file and copied it to a USB drive, the file has 'HD' and 'ENC' icons against it as you would expect but still no Video Copy Protect icon, in fact I can't make this icon appear at all.

I'm guessing this is the icon you are seeing 749_1_26_Video_Copy_Protect.pngit is called 749_1_26_Video_Copy_Protect.png

I've had that icon pop up on quite a few encrypted copies. I can't say if there is any restrictive effect as I've only watched and deleted from the external drive at a latet date.

I'm running quite an old stock firmware (pre the auto retune issue).

Never seen it on a bbc recording but happens every time from c4.

I can't recall recording from C4 HD before. I now have a 1 minute recording with that icon.
It hasn't appeared on any of my BBC HD programmes which are the only channells I've exported HD from up to now.

Edit: Oops! I got it last week on a C4 programme, but was only concerned with the unencrypted version, (double copy with a fox inbetween), and deleted as soon as I had a fully transportable version.

Staggering. After all this time, something we didn't know about the HDR-FOX, maybe only triggered by some kind of transmitted control flag.

I've seen the icon before but only when playing with the 'maximum copies' flag in the HMT file. Incidentally, the hmt utility can show that count and the copies flag.

Code:
Flags: SD,Unlimited Copies,ODEncrypted,
Copy count:0

I have this icon on a single archived recording off of C4HD from before I installed the CFW and auto-unprotect. Out of curiosity, I tried to copy it back to the internal drive and it copied without complaint, and the copied file is without the icon (although that may be auto-unprotect at work as it also lost the Enc icon).

I have removed the custom Firmware auto-unprotect package, recorded a Hi-Def. file and copied it to a USB drive, the file has 'HD' and 'ENC' icons against it as you would expect but still no Video Copy Protect icon, in fact I can't make this icon appear at all.

I'm guessing this is the icon you are seeing View attachment 817it is called 749_1_26_Video_Copy_Protect.png

Yes, that's the one.

I've had that icon pop up on quite a few encrypted copies. I can't say if there is any restrictive effect as I've only watched and deleted from the external drive at a latet date.

I'm running quite an old stock firmware (pre the auto retune issue).

Never seen it on a bbc recording but happens every time from c4.

I've now checked the copied recordings that had the copy-protect icon appear on them - all seem to read ok. I haven't tried making a further copy but, for obvious reasons, I assume it won't work.

Another observation: I said in my original post that the copy protect icon had appeared on the original item as well as the copied item. Overnight, the copy protect icon disappeared from the original items.

Back