Anyone know whether this would work in fvp 4000

Member 7823

Updated 25 May to save trawling through the whole thread

My 3 year old fvp 4000 HDD kept dropping offline, total format and reset many times to no avail
Bought this HDD as a replacement

My 4000 didn't recognise it at all???, despite others experiencing it as a successful swap
Put the old HDD back in which works fine but drops out
Considered formatting the new HDD with a PC but they sent the wrong cable
Gave up and ordered a brand new FVP 5000

------------

Anyone know whether this would work in fvp 4000?

Last edited:
It's a Barracuda. Barracudas are intended for PC use (high transfer rate random access) rather than PVR use (moderate sustained sequential access), and may have undesirable properties such as head parking, unnecessary spin speed, and higher operating power. That doesn't mean it won't work, just that it is not optimised.

Got the HDD today. Factory Reset including format
For the record FVP 4000 does not recognise that drive

Last edited:
No need to shout at me.
There were two options. The one in post #1 and the one suggested in post #3 by Martin.

No need to shout at me.
There were two options. The one in post #1 and the one suggested in post #3 by Martin.
I don't think he was shouting at you. I think he just pasted it from Amazon and that formatting got carried over.
I had to work a bit to remove it from my quote.

One thing I'm thinking. My HDD is failing because of a power out. I've since discovered that most 3.5 Sata drives have a separate power supply outside the ribbon connector, which makes me think this is where my problem lies.

One thing I'm thinking. My HDD is failing because of a power out. I've since discovered that most 3.5 Sata drives have a separate power supply outside the ribbon connector, which makes me think this is where my problem lies.
I think the drive connector is effectively a data connector and a power connector joined together. It is possible there is a problem on the motherboard. I will say what I have said before; I am not a fan of buying hard drives from sellers on Amazon Marketplace.

I've since discovered that most 3.5 Sata drives have a separate power supply outside the ribbon connector, which makes me think this is where my problem lies.
I have no idea what that means. All my various 3½" SATA HDDs have a connector for the SATA interface and a separate connector for the PSU... that's because they need +5V and +12V. The two can be combined into a single connector, as ML says, but it's still half a data connector and the other half a power connector, and there is no difference on the HDD (just the cable/s).

2½" HDDs only need 5V.

I've ordered a sata to pc lead so I can make sure the new drive is actually formatted before I return it. Don't suppose anyone knows the format for the HDD in terms of sector size? I couldn't find it on Google.

I've ordered a sata to pc lead so I can make sure the new drive is actually formatted before I return it. Don't suppose anyone knows the format for the HDD in terms of sector size? I couldn't find it on Google.
The native sector size is 4KB but the drive firmware provides 512 byte sector size emulation for backwards compatibility.

Back