Anyone managed to get any of the boxes working with a USB keyboard?

Ineluki

Whenever you need to spell things out on the UI, it's a massive pain. Especially when it sometimes exhibits quirky behaviour.
Has anyone found a way to make it work with a USB keyboard?

The gold standard, of course, would be a wireless one.

I take it you've given it a go? It will either work or not - nothing you can do about it.

IIRC the HDR-FOX will respond to a USB keyboard to some extent.

On a 4000T model I plugged in a Logitech wired keyboard into the side USB socket and it worked a treat.
Most keys have no effect, but the following keys have the function described:

Up or down arrow = List of codes and associated TV channels on left hand side of screen.

Pause Break = Pauses programme, then hit Enter to resume.

Home = Home screen for TV Guide, Recordings, iPlayer, Netflix etc., then Escape to return to live TV

Escape = Return to live TV

$ = On Demand. Left-pointing arrow to see Recordings.

Numeric keys: to enter code, e.g., 704 for Radio 4

The keyboard is especially useful when searching for a film title on NetFlix.

Please reply if you find any other keys with a useful effect.

I note that the manual makes no mention of “keyboard” after a keyword search. I think the feature is there to aid Humax developers. Of course, if features are undocumented then manufacturers can change them at will.

I think the feature is there to aid Humax developers. Of course, if features are undocumented then manufacturers can change them at will.
Deliberate for development and test? Perhaps, perhaps not.

USB keyboard input is likely to be a basic feature of the Linux kernel, so it might take a lot of unnecessary effort to actually remove it. Okay, so perhaps there's no need to pipe the resulting character stream into the Humax code, but if the Humax code is using standard IO streams then keyboard input will automatically be one of those streams.

I've managed to get this to work, on the 5000.

There are three unlabelled keys that you can program.. it's a teeny bit flaky setting them up, but once you do it seems to work OK.

It works where it works: works OK on search pages, typing in network passwords etc - not at all in some of the apps.

It's nice that the keyboard side is backlit, too.wkb.png
It's the size of a smallish remote handset, and having the media keys, volume, mute etc on the other side is also handy if you don't want a full-size KB littering up the living room.

It's handy when Herself loses the remote under the cushions (or under the dog), also.

Last edited:
Back