Anyone manages to play media from USB?

Member 7823

I have a 1 terabyte external SSD USB drive and I keep all my media on it all my videos are on it all my music is on it and all my photos

ef193e6e491749e4d1600472963ed1bb.jpg

The 4000 has a USB port and I was hoping I could just plug it in and watch all my media from the 4000 Unfortunately the 4000 doesn't recognise it at all
I've also tried a smaller 2GB usb drive and it didn't recognise that either
Anyone manages to play media from USB?

Sent from my GEM-702L using Tapatalk

Last edited:
How are they formatted?
Various but mainly mp3 and mp4
It works fine on both my Windows desktop and my chrome book
Just not recognised by the 4000
The drive light comes on so the hardware is fine
I do get a message pop-up saying "USB device not recognised"
Have tried with 2 devices
So I'm beginning to wonder whether the USB port works at all

Various but mainly mp3 and mp4
I meant the format of the drive.
Have worked out the issue, for some reason Win 10 has converted all my USB sticks to use GUID (GPT) partitioning instead of MBR as well as creating a EFI system partition on the stick.
I am guessing this is why the humax doesn't like the USB sticks anymore.
Trouble is windows wont allow me to change back to MBR even under disk management via control panel, so anyone running windows 10 be aware, it will take over your USB sticks!!

Thanks for all the suggestions but my question still remains has anyone actually tried it can anyone else use it? is my real question

That doesn't seem much point in the exploring all these options my end if the box itself simply does not work so

has anyone managed to get this to work?

Why on earth do you make three consecutive posts when one would do. Use the +Quote button if necessary.
That doesn't seem much point in the exploring all these options my end if the box itself simply does not work so
That makes an awful lot of sense.

Tried two USB devices one was formatted with Windows the other was formatted with my chromebook both devices play media on any other device apart from the 4000
You're still not stating specifics about the formatting of the 1TB drive, so trying to help is like pulling teeth. I don't have an FVP-4000T to test, and only a small percentage of the users on this forum (maybe none of the regulars) will have either.

Chances are the drive is formatted NTFS, but it would be informative to have confirmation, and recent Humax units have NTFS support so that should be OK. The other critical thing is whether it is MBR or GPT (it is unlikely the 4000 has GPT support). Elsewhere on the forum somebody has reported having difficulties with an SSD specifically.

Regarding the 2GB UPD, I wouldn't regard it as a significant result. We're used to UPDs not being recognised.

Test with a straightforward spinning disk portable USB drive (buy a small cheap one off eBay if necessary), with MBR partitioning (which it will be if it's small) and NTFS. If that doesn't work, see if there are any menu options to format the external drive (which will result in it being Ext3). If all else fails try formatting FAT32.

There doesn't seem much point in the exploring all these options my end if the box itself simply does not work so has anyone managed to get this to work?
Of course there's a point. Somebody's got to figure out all the ins and outs, that's how we know so much about the HDR-FOX. Are you saying you want answers and have no intention of making an effort to contribute to them?

Haven't you figured out how to turn that off yet???

There is yet another 4000T user posting currently on this very forum whose external drive works OK, but the internal one is not. So obviously it can be done. I can't be assed to search for it. But his latest post was this morning.
Haven't you figured out how to turn that off yet???
Yes it's pretty annoying, especially when coupled with Member 7823's penchant for multiple consecutive posts as above.

I have just tried with an 8GB USB Flash Drive in the side USB port, and had no problem playing an mp4 video with full transport control available, playing m4a audio files, and viewing a jpg image. The drive is recognised very quickly, with a pop up menu appearing within 5 seconds.

I have just tried with an 8GB USB Flash Drive in the side USB port, and had no problem playing an mp4 video with full transport control available, playing m4a audio files, and viewing a jpg image. The drive is recognised very quickly, with a pop up menu appearing within 5 seconds.
Well at least somebody managed to get it working
I've tried with two different drives both of which work fine with my Chromebook and my Windows desktop
I will give it a try with the 3rd but if that doesn't work I just have to assume that my 4000 is busted

Turns out both my USB drive formatted to fat32 which I thought was universal but doesn't work on the 4000 I've converted to ntfs and whilst it took me 1 terabyte drive 2 days to shift all the stuff backwards and forwards it now works perfectly

That is odd, I would have expected FAT32 to work... but it's pretty useless for large video files anyway.

I've been successful using a FAT 32 formatted external USB drive (attached to the side USB port), so the drive shouldn't need to be NTFS formatted.

However ... I'm beginning to think that my separate issue with recordings on the internal HDD erratically disappearing and reappearing may be related to whether or not the external USB drive is attached at boot-up.

I had thought it was related to whether or not I had set for the aerial signal to be looped through when the Hummy is powered down, but it seems (??) that if the USB drive is attached on power-up, then my recordings on the internal HDD are not always accessible.

Back