Apologies for a Basic Q

Sargan

I have HDR-Fox T2
Read some good things about custom software - so can see benefit of connecting PVR to Network.

I can obviously hook up CAT5 to get it to my ethernet switch which is then linked to my BT Home Hub router, and I can make sure it has access by checking TV portal ........ great to prove that side of things

However I'm sure there is some specific config required to allow me to be able to access the device via a browser.
Are you aware of any guides or resources on configuration necessary to allow this out onto internet ... how to do it securely.
Assume this will need an HTTPS secure connection (or VPN) and also some specific port opening to allow it through firewall. ?
Advice welcomed.

Much more simpler than that!

Install the CFW. In your web browser of choice just enter the IP address of your Humax. You should be presented with the initial web page from where the world is your lobster.

I do suggest you give you Humax a static IP address.

EDIT: Re-read and realized you were talking about accessing via the Internet. Apologies for that.

Last edited:
Sounds great if it will work that easily ... I can give it any static addrr as its behind firewall - and appreciate any PC South of firewall (i.e. on my home network) will connect, slightly confused as to how an external browser will get there - as this IP address will not be seen North of my router,is there some form of NATS taking place ? I'll give it a try

You need SSH or VPN to access from the internet. I wouldn't be tempted to open port 80 to the outside world.

That is what I thought, it will need a secure tunnel of some sort (ipsec)
Are you aware of any guides as to how to do this ?
Setting up custom firmware and connecting to home network is easy enough ......... its the external access I will need help on.
It's PC at home and also PC browser (or phone) remotely

I can give it any static addrr as its behind firewall - and appreciate any PC South of firewall (i.e. on my home network) will connect, slightly confused as to how an external browser will get there
You would need to set up port forwarding in the router (port 80 for http or 443 for https) to the address you have given for the Humax. Can I ask why you want to access the Humax from outside your network?

I understood that I can install the custom f/ware and that allows access via browser.
This gives option to set record via the Internet.
Or have I misunderstood.
Can see no benefit to browser access otherwise.

Browser access allows you to manage the box on your local network without otherwise disturbing its function, and is also the means to manage the custom facilities. For configuring recordings while away from home, there is the Remote Scheduling Service - no need to access the box directly from outside.

You will see the benefit of browser access for yourself, as soon as you install it. If you want a preview, have a look at the sample screen shots on the wiki.

Bear in mind that it is not possible to schedule any recording for immediate action by any means other than the normal remote control handset. Recordings scheduled using the WebIF (web browser interface) or RS (remote scheduler) require a system reboot before they can be added to the HDR-FOX's actual recording schedule.

Last edited:
Thanks .. seems a somewhat clunky way of getting to the abilities of other set-top boxes.
This would seem an ideal application for a Smart phone app, if the box had a secure data connection ..
Or a SIM :)

If you want streamlined remote recording ability, buy a unit which offers that. If you want a good PVR that an enthusiast community has extended as far as we can and continue to develop, albeit with some limitations, you've got it.

The HDR-FOX was never designed to do what we can make it do, and we have to work within the limitations of its features. Take it or leave it.

Guys sorry to get you so upset ... I did say in subject it was basic questions.
As to go buy something else ..if I could get Virgin cable I would have their box, I can't so I bought the Humax.
Had it for a few years .. had not heard of this group until today

Is not a bad box ... key thing missing is remote programming.
I'll try out the custom firmware ...

As stated above, the Humax Remote Scheduling is not as slick as products that were designed to do this from day one, they tend to be 'always on' making them always accessible from the internet, when the Humax is in standby the LAN connection is not active so there is no possibility of Wakup-On-LAN, you could leave the Humax permanently on but this would still require port forwarding to allow access through your router which isn't regarded as very safe. The Custom Firmware periodically contacts an 'always-on' server and downloads any Remote Scheduling requests to the Humax, because this is an add-on to the original Humax firmware, the new scheduling request can only be installed on the Humax after a re-boot

Sounds like a you guys found a sneaky way around this by using reboot ..
Glad there are people with this depth of technical understanding.

Guys sorry to get you so upset ...
Not really, just a little irritated that it's all old hat and already well documented. The links in my signature panel (at the bottom of my every post) are a good starting point. Many (maybe all) of the defects that are addressed by the custom firmware and packages are the subject of Things Every..., but the CF adds much more additional functionality besides that.

Last edited:
Ditto with BH. It was not clear from your posts whether you wanted to access the box from a web browser on a computer on your local network, or whether you were talking about accessing the box from outside on the wider internet.
The 'walk/run' comment was reference to the fact that it would be better to be able to do the former using the custom firmware, before trying to access it from the internet. Having said that, I think I can understand why you asked.

Back