ARC problem

colirv

I've connected up my new 2000T and immediately met an ARC problem.

My set up includes a Sony TV and Samsung 5.1 Blu-Ray system. The Samsung's HDMI out is connected to the Sony's first HDMI in, which has ARC functionality. This means that switching on the TV also turns on the Samsung (on its DI input setting), and everything is hunky dory. Both my old 9300T (which still works ok) and my late Fox T2 (which the 2000T replaced) worked fine with this, plugging into two of the TV's other HDMI inputs and bashing out stereo and surround sound as appropriate.

The 2000T doesn't work like this. If it's not switched on until after the TV is switched on, no problem. If, however, the 2000T is already on (or within half-an-hour of a scheduled recording) when the TV is switched on, the ARC doesn't work. The TV switches back to its own speakers, and when I look at what the Samsung is seeing it says it lacks a DI signal. If I switch the 2000T off the ARC starts working again (and this is the only way to get it working). With the TV now on it's safe to switch the 2000T back on.

Something is not working right, and I'm inclined to blame the 2000T. Before I consult Richer Sounds I'd be interested to hear what people think, and in particular from anyone who has a similar set up which works properly. My first guess is that it's a 2000T firmware problem, but IANAE!

Something is not working right, and I'm inclined to blame the 2000T. Before I consult Richer Sounds
I would consult Richer Sounds. These sort of interoperability problems are difficult to debug without exactly the same setup.

I'm sure you're right. In any case, I can see a solution being somewhat elusive, if not impossible. I can also see me forking out for an optical lead to connect the Sony and Samsung!

Will do. I don't know how long this is going to take, as we're on holiday next week, and family staying the week after. But I will be back!

Wanting a quick fix I've sprung for an optical lead twixt Sony and Samsung and disabled the ARC. This appears to have solved the problem, except that the Samsung doesn't always turn off automatically with the Sony. That I can live with. I will, however, pop into Richer Sounds early in the new year for a chat.

I've reported the same issue with my lg tv. Did you get a fix other than using an optical cable?

Sent from my LG-V500 using Tapatalk

No. And in fact the problem was worse than outlined above. Sometimes switching the Humax on first meant I could get no connection to my sound system at all, even with the optical cable, until I switched off both Humax and TV and started again in the right order. That situation, with some advice from another forum, seems now to have been improved by updating the Samsung software. The switching on order no longer matters, the Samsung usually comes on and off with the TV, and the Samsung volume can be controlled by the TV's remote. However, I still need the optical cable, with the Samsung's ARC set to "off".

Hmmmm. I've resisted getting an optical cable involved due to its ineligance compared to the hdmi solution. As long as the TV is turned on first, I should be ok. Will keep fiddling though!

Touchè! I also had a weird issue where turning on the Xbox 360 caused hd reception to drop out. It requires pushing the units as far away from each other as possible to sort, and keeping the hummy aerial cable away from the hd of the 360. I'm going to move the Xbox down a shelf to see if this helps further

In case it is of any relevance: my LG BluRay player somehow forces my LG TV to turn on, even when the HDMI active matrix switch is routing the BluRay input to my projector output (and the TV output is being fed from something else) - and even when the projector is displaying something else so there is no active path from the BluRay through the matrix at all!

In case it is of any relevance: my LG BluRay player somehow forces my LG TV to turn on, even when the HDMI active matrix switch is routing the BluRay input to my projector output (and the TV output is being fed from something else) - and even when the projector is displaying something else so there is no active path from the BluRay through the matrix at all!

That is bonkers. I have a 2011 smart model so am resigned to the fact there will be no fix from LG's end. The odd thing is, the hummy doesn't show up as a hdmi control device on Simplink (the LG HDMI conrtol protocol for other devices). My Chromecast does though. I might try unplugging that and seeing what happens. @colirv - unplugging the hummy hdmi from the telly and turning the speakers back on with Simplink deffo works. I'm happy it doesn't interfere with recording as well. It's a good job it's only the nipper's Cbeebies HD stuff that would got nobbled if not!

I've emailed Humax:

Hi
I'm having some issues where my humax box as above is interfering with ARC/HDMI control of other devices plugged into my tv.
I've isolated the issue as the humax box as when it's unplugged froim it's hdmi socket on the tv the issue disappears.
See this thread on hummy.tv for further info and others suffering the same problem:
http://hummy.tv/forum/threads/arc-problem.4307/

When the humax box is powered on first, or when it's recording in standby, it interferes with the TV's HDMI control protocols (Simplink in the case of my LG 47lw650t from 2011). This means I can't change devices with the tv or humax remote or connect to my home cinema speakers, which use ARC to get sound from the tv.

As I mentioedn above, the only thing that fixes the problem is unplugging the Humax box from the hdmi socket on the TV, which reactivates Simplink/HDMI control, turning the speakers on, then plugging the humax box back in.

Can you get this looked at and sorted with a firmware update?

Thanks

Matt

Good luck with that, but don't expect any response.

I gave up on ARC on my Samsung TV, as it was intermittent. I am back with an optical cable now, just for viewing the TV using its own tuners.

HDMI CEC is about as unreliable as HDMI HDCP is. I don't even have a 200t, everything is plugged into my amp, with a single HDMI cable to the TV, but I still have problems with ARC and CEC. Could various Humax boxes connected via HDMI to the amp be causing CEC and ARC to fail? Who knows, in view of Black Hole's experience with his matrix switch above.

Back