Argghhh!! Don't you just hate it when that happens?

parish

So, for about a week now I've been messing about with transcoding trying to find a format for videos that will play on the HDR from my DLNA server (Serviio running on Ubuntu).

Everything I tried resulted in either unplayable formats or, at best, choppy video or no sound.

I'm using 85Mbps HomePlugs and began to wonder if that was the problem (with the choppy video) as most people seem to use 200Mbps for A/V use. A few calculations showed they should be fine for SD, but maybe pushing it for full 1080p, but since all my videos are SD it shouldn't be an issue.

This afternoon I was grovelling about under the computer desk sorting out cabling and noticed that the HomePlug was plugged into a trailing socket with a surge protector. I then remembered reading somewhere (hummy.org maybe?) that surge protectors can interfere with the network signal so moved the HP to a wall socket et voila the videos now play fine :D

I'm using 85Mbps HomePlugs and began to wonder if that was the problem (with the choppy video) as most people seem to use 200Mbps for A/V use. A few calculations showed they should be fine for SD, but maybe pushing it for full 1080p, but since all my videos are SD it shouldn't be an issue.

500Mbps units are really cheap now. Of course, the actual speed you get is nowhere like that. I found that 200Mbps units were slow enough to reduce the speed tests on my 45Mbps broadband to around 20Mbps.

Back