Attempts at editing HiDef content produces audio sync glitches

ProdigalSon

I've made a few recordings with my new 2000T and whilst everything appears to be fine when editing Standard Def videos (removing adverts, performing trims), when I attempt to do the same with HiDef content on my Mac, I run into constant problems with audio sync issues.

The .TS files aren't even recognised at all with Mpeg Streamclip, so I use Avidemux instead and the original, unedited HiDef recording plays fine when reviewing within Avidemux or VLC but unless the saved, edited file is extremely short, say under a minute, it always suffers from an audio sync drift when I view the finished result with VLC.

In Quicktime and Mplayer OS X Extended, anything HiDef that was produced by the Humax won't even play with sound or without video corruption issues. Is there some kind of particular issue with HiDef .TS files produced by the 2000T? For years, I've used the aforementioned programmes to edit a variety of content, ranging from Standard Def .TS recordings to HiDef videos.

Is there something that I've missed here, or is extracting HiDef content from the 2000T still in the "teething" stage?

Once decrypted, the file content is precisely what was transmitted. The problem lies with the appropriate manipulation of the various data and control streams which comprise the TS.

Update: see below

Last edited:
Ok, seeing as Avidemux doesn't appear to be up to the task, which program would I need to appropriately manipulate the data and control streams within the TS?

VideoReDo is the gold standard in Windows, but I don't know whether that is available for Mac. It costs money though.

Thanks once again. I have a Bootcamp partition with Windows 7, so running VideoReDo is an option I can explore.

Just to update this thread with some good news: I've received help with a solution that doesn't involve using Windows or paying for additional software.

Download and copy FFMPEG into your usr/local/bin directory, full instructions available here.

From the Terminal, CD to wherever the .TS file is located and then:

Code:
 ffmpeg -i <input-ts-filename>.ts -vcodec copy -acodec pcm_s16le -ar 48000 -ac 2 <output-filename>.mov

After a few minutes, an MOV will be churned out that you can then edit within Avidemux or Mpeg Streamclip and the final result will be free of any audio sync problems (or generational loss to the picture quality). You'll lose the audio description track and the DVB-T subtitles though.

Hopefully this will be of help to other Mac users. :)

Back